Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send emails

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Unable to send emails

And again  - "SMTP Error (-1) Connection to server failed"  - at 5.18pm + 5.20pm - this time from my work computer
EDIT - sent fine from my home computer at 6.36pm
drj
Aspiring Pro

I then tried to forward a message at 5.21pm, had the same problem with that - and when trying to save it got "An error occurred while saving."
UPDATE - tried another reply at 5.34pm - wouldn't go but at least would save.
It was responding to someone who pointed out that a "stack" of about 6-8 emails I'd sent him on Saturday (using webmail) had only just arrived! I've asked him (well tried - it hasn't gone yet) to tell me whether it's my end or his end holding them up. Could this be connected?

EDIT - 5.34pm email sent fine from my home computer at 6.36pm; 5.21pm email re-written and sent fine at 6.38pm
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: drj
It was responding to someone who pointed out that a "stack" of about 6-8 emails I'd sent him on Saturday (using webmail) had only just arrived! I've asked him (well tried - it hasn't gone yet) to tell me whether it's my end or his end holding them up. Could this be connected?

I think one would need the full headers of at least one of the 'stacked' emails to determine if the delay was at the Plusnet or addressee end. Then if those show the delay is between the Mail Transfer Agents it would be necessary for Plusnet (or the other end) to check their mail logs to track behaviour. Getting the Plusnet end checked is likely to be the easiest option for you.
I suppose it depends what the cause of the problem you experience really is before one can say 'unable to send' and 'stacked delivery' are connected.
David
drj
Aspiring Pro

And again  - "SMTP Error (-1) Connection to server failed"  - at 5.22pm from my work computer
I am finding this very frustrating - but at least it usually allows me to save to drafts. I'll try sending it later.
The delayed emails I reported were a red herring - from one of the headers I can see they were issued on Saturday from Plusnet to Yahoo - so the delay appears to be at Yahoo's end.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Do you always send at that time? Similar time to the problem yesterday. Do you experience the problem earlier in the day?
David
drj
Aspiring Pro

I was only sending at that time since I was logging on at work instead of waiting until I came home (100MB cable there so it's quick!) - I think I've posted previously the times it's happened. Can't see any real pattern.
drj
Aspiring Pro

Just failed again!    8.20am    Usual "-1" message.
This time writing a new email using my laptop and Vodafone mobile broadband
I can't believe I'm the only person experiencing this. Or perhaps few people use Webmail?
EDIT - tried several times - eventually went at 8.38am

FURTHER EDIT - just failed yet again! 9.09am
I'd had a response to the previous email so replied - and it won't go again!
EDIT - tried several times every few minutes - still wouldn't go at about 9.20am but eventually went at 9.23am
drj
Aspiring Pro

Failed again - been working fine since 9.23am but suddenly the "-1" error message has started happening again at 11.35am
EDIT - popped out to corner shop for lunch - tried again at 11.48am and it went.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Just clutching at straws but I wonder if this is session cookie related? I think those generally have a lifetime of 24 minutes from last reference. However a problem like that should affect users in general rather than just yourself.
My use of webmail is occasional, generally I use Thunderbird or Outlook with IMAP. Not had problems sending (except when widespread problems were known about).
David
drj
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: spraxyt
Just clutching at straws but I wonder if this is session cookie related? I think those generally have a lifetime of 24 minutes from last reference. However a problem like that should affect users in general rather than just yourself.

No - the problem email at 11.35am was a reply to a reply to my previous email sent at 11.26am without a problem.
Boz
Rising Star

I can't believe I'm the only person experiencing this. Or perhaps few people use Webmail?

Are you still only using Roundcube to send emails?    If so, have a look at this link: http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=461
Failing that:  have you updated your antivirus software or firewall recently?

Boz
drj
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Boz

Are you still only using Roundcube to send emails?    If so, have a look at this link: http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=461
Failing that:  have you updated your antivirus software or firewall recently?

Boz

Thanks - but I don't understand any of the three points made at that link. And note this is an intermittent error
This is happening on three different computers all running XPSP3 but one (A) on Plusnet broadband, another (B) on Virgin Cable and another (C) on Vodafone Mobile Broadband. Previously it's been suggested it's nothing to do with my computers.
In respect of "have you updated your antivirus software or firewall recently?"
A is running NIS2012 - fully up-to-date
B is running through the company firewall with MSE up-to-date
C is running Windows Firewall and AVG Free - fully up-to-date
drj
Aspiring Pro

Today is clearly a bad day - it's just happened again - same error message at 1.48pm - however it worked when I tried at 1.52pm
Boz
Rising Star

I'm racking my brains to try and help, but clearly not succeeding.
Setting aside the use of Windows XP, would I be right in thinking that the only other common factor in your operation of sending emails is the use of Roundcube?
If that's the case, I wonder whether the problem isn't just a question of congestion.  This may account for the fact that at a given time of day you can't send an email, but four minutes later you can because a slot becomes available.

Boz
drj
Aspiring Pro

"...would I be right in thinking that the only other common factor in your operation of sending emails is the use of Roundcube?" - Yes - as far as I can see apart obviously from it being the same account of course. If it really is congestion then something's seriously wrong somewhere...