Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Unable to send emails

seems ok here at the moment
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Anybody else seeing a recurrence of this sending problem?  I've changed my connection setup today, but email was working ok since and receiving seems to be ok still. Just timing-out with smtp server error when trying to send...
Chris
tammyd

I'm also getting a time-out trying to send email via SMTP at 21:18
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

And still:
A time-out occurred while communicating with the server. Subject 'Re: [freecycle-exeter] offered -computer network cables- cullompton', Account: 'SueMailbox', Server: 'relay.plus.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC19

Sad
watton
Grafter

Despite the service status saying that the problem has been fixed the emails that I have been trying to send since about 6pm tonight have still not gone up the the relay.free-online server.  I just keep getting timeout messages.
Can someone at PN please have another look at the problem

UPDATED 23:28  The emails that had been stuck in my inbox all evening have now been sent and a further test email sent to my hotmail account has also gone through.
RobDickson
Grafter

Problems again this morning.
pittdj
Grafter

Email just failed to send here. Port on relay.plus.net timed out. The Apple Mail Connection Doctor tool fails to connect to the SMPT server.
linux
Grafter

I can't send to relay.plus.net either. This from Thunderbird:
Sending of message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server relay.plus.net timed out. Try again or contact your network administrator.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Hi guys, I've recently updated service status to reflect the current situation.
[quote author="Service Status"]Email problems (73209/73216) - UPDATE
This is an update to yesterday's post about the problems affecting our outbound email platform.
We are continuing to experience intermittent bouts of instability during which customers may find they are unable to send email. This happened yesterday evening at around 9.00pm and again this morning. On occasion this may also be causing email collection and Webmail performance problems.
Our engineers have identified an issue with our outbound anti-spam appliances that we think may be contributing to the problem. We are working with our anti-spam vendor to try and isolate the cause of these recurring problems and will provide another update later today.
Until the root cause of the problem has been identified, customers may continue to suffer from intermittent problems when attempting to send/receive email.
Thanks for your patience and apologies for the continued inconvenience.
Kind Regards,
Bob Pullen
Plusnet Customer Support

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

RobDickson
Grafter

Seems better at the moment.
Thanks.
johnrobinson
Grafter

I have been unable to recieve any or send any e mails since Saturday. Are you still working on this ? A log in box appears (Outlook express) but it rejects my password /user name.
Cheers
John Robinson
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there, we've not seen anything since the last set of announcements above to my knowledge, if it's both receiving and sending it sounds like it could be an issue with outlook - do you get any error messages?
Good way to check is to log into webmail and see if that works... if it does you've confirmed that the fault is with the client rather than on our side of things.
ardencottage

Thought I'd browse thru here as over the last few days we've found sending emails with attachments has been flakey....often coming back with above mentioned message -
SMTP sever has not responded in 60 secs.... with the offer to wait or not.
I have sent a mail without attachment a few minutes earlier no problem. My current email has been tried about 5 times over the last 10 mins or so. Just tried again and it has now gone.
Attachments total size was only about 800k so don't see that should be any bother.
Thoughts please....
Rgds, Ade
PS - EDIT to say using outlook on XP
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

First thing I'd do is try temporarily disabling any anti-virus/security software that might be scanning your messages. There's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be able to send an 800K file attachment.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ardencottage

It's intermittent............AVG 2013 would either block it all the time or let it go all the time. I cannot see AV being the cause I'm afraid.
Not been a problem prior to swapping to plusnet 2 weeks ago.
I will monitor the situation and if it continues, albeit sporadically, then I'll raise a ticket with support.
Rgds, Ade