Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send emails

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Unable to send emails

I've just been reading a series of emails and suddenly I get "Could not load message from server." - on six successive emails. Is this possibly connected? Worked after refreshing the message list.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi drj,
One of our networks guys is looking through the logs from yesterday to see if we can find anything that coincides with the error message you mention above (at 13:48). I'll update as soon as we know if he's been able to find anything.
Hope you don't mind if we look at that before checking on the issues with viewing emails?
drj
Aspiring Pro

Thanks - the "viewing" one has only happened once and was cured by a refresh, but I added it since it was another case of the server not responding, albeit the other way. Fine since.
kmilburn
Grafter

Quote from: drj
I've just been reading a series of emails and suddenly I get "Could not load message from server." - on six successive emails. Is this possibly connected? Worked after refreshing the message list.

That's the problem I mentioned many moons ago,  and appears related to the server side cache being reset and the browser side objects not noticing.
https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,104326.0.html
drj
Aspiring Pro

Thanks - I've added today's experience to that topic for the record since it's an acknowledged problem
For the record the Send problem has just occurred again - 6.07pm - the usual "-1" message. EDIT - tried again at 6.14pm and it went immediately.
drj
Aspiring Pro

Looks like it's becoming a daily occurrence - first email sent today failed - usual "-1" error message - at 9.44am. Still on laptop/mobile Vodafone at present.
UPDATE - saved to drafts then sent again at 9.48am - successfully this time.
Boz
Rising Star

I meant to ask you this before, but do you have the same problem when using Plusnet's Webmail ?

Boz
drj
Aspiring Pro

Sorry but you appear to have missed the point - all the problems I've reported recently in this topic are when using Plusnet Webmail - albeit on three different platforms. I hardly ever used to use webmail - only while away from home - but latterly I've been using it all the time.
Boz
Rising Star

Sorry but you appear to have missed the point

Apologies - it was this comment from an earlier post of yours that made me think you were using Roundcube Webmail.
"Thing is, I like Roundcube so much that I've stopped using Outlook Express after more than ten years - I still download every few days but most emails are now sent from Roundcube... "

Boz
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

In Plusnet's webmail right click the Plusnet logo at the top left and view the image. That should show you it's location which will reveal to you the software that Plusnet's webmail uses. You may wish to retract your comments!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
drj
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Boz
Sorry but you appear to have missed the point

Apologies - it was this comment from an earlier post of yours that made me think you were using Roundcube Webmail.
"Thing is, I like Roundcube so much that I've stopped using Outlook Express after more than ten years - I still download every few days but most emails are now sent from Roundcube... "

Boz

I am using Plusnet webmail in the Roundcube version - I used to use the Squirrelcube version but switched a long time ago when invited onto the Roundcube trial - and of course the latter is now the default.
Boz
Rising Star

Now I understand.    Apologies to "drj".     I think I'll bow out gracefully and not contribute to the forum any more.

Boz
drj
Aspiring Pro

It's been absolutely fine all over Xmas since my last report - and I've just sent two emails this evening at 18.05 and 18.08 without a problem when, all of a sudden, the third one fails to go and I get the usual "-1" error message at 18.13
Currently on the laptop and vodafone mobile broadband
UPDATE - after repeated attempts it eventually went at 18.22
drj
Aspiring Pro

I have just found this topic:
Cant send email when using webmail
Where spraxyt has responded thus:
Quote from: spraxyt
You should not be using beta webmail now. Roundcube became the standard webmail offering last April and is accessed at https://webmail.plus.net/. Is it this one or its old beta implementation that fails for you?
I've just tried sending from webmail (Roundcube) and it worked OK - admittedly a sample of one.

Since I have been using Roundcube since before the switchover my shortcut is set to https://betawebmail.plus.net/
So are we saying that the problems I've been having for months are all due to me using the wrong URL?
I will now reset my shortcut to see if the problem goes away.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I hadn't twigged you might still be using betawebmail. It's just my speculation that betawebmail could give sending problems, but changes in the mail storage platform and a change in datacentre have occurred since Roundcube became the standard webmail offering. There were a few glitches during those changes and the fixes might not have been fully implemented on the beta server.
It will be interesting to see if the problem does go away using the production servers.
David