cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send emails

Buggy3360

Unable to send emails

I have been unable to send emails all day. I was able to send mails yesterday and have changed nothing since then. I can receive emails but cannot send through relay.force9.net. I can send emails through webmail so it seems that the relay.force9.net server is the issue. I tried getting a resolution through chat help but the girl on there was unhelpful and suggested that as I could send through webmail that there was no issue! Do PlusNet/Force9 monitor their web servers at all and is it likely that someone will realise and reboot the offending server? 

33 REPLIES 33
Wardio2
Dabbler

Re: Unable to send emails

I've just discovered that MY emails aren't being delivered too, although I can receive them ok.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Buggy3360 & @Wardio2, thanks for your posts and welcome to our Community Forums.

We're sincerely sorry to hear of your email woes.

There are no widespread issues with the server that we're aware of. What error message(s) are you receiving?

Buggy3360

No messages, simply that I am now unable to send any emails from accounts that I have been using for over ten years. I have not changed any settings, yet I am unable to authenticate on the Relay.force9.net server from any of the three devices I use. I am able to receive emails and can send emails using webmail. I cannot send emails using other email clients. 

Buggy3360

I will add that I have four email accounts using two different domain names , all of which have the same issue. The problem does not appear to be an individual account not authenticating on the server, rather that multiple accounts are not being authenticated. 

Buggy3360

Error messages received on my iPhone. No upgrades or changes have been made since I was last able to send emails. 

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @Buggy3360, thanks for the update.

I'm going to need to liase with our Network Infrastructure team on this one, who unfortunately left the office about an hour ago.

I've emailed them and added your account to my to-do list and will speak with them directly tomorrow AM, updating you by lunchtime.

Wardio2
Dabbler

No messages OskarPapa, but I'm having the problem on both PC and iPad.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Wardio2,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue. Does the same problem occur when logging into the webmail platform? If you've not yet been able to try this, please click here and login using your mailbox credentials.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Buggy3360

No, I have just tried and any emails sent through webmail do not arrive at the destination web address. 

Wardio2
Dabbler

Hi. I haven't used Webmail before, but when I tried just now using my usual PlusNet login it showed "Login failed"

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there.

I've raised tasks to our infrastructure engineers for further investigation.

We'll update both of you when we know more.

Apologies for the inconvenience that this causes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Wardio2
Dabbler

Hi AJ! Out of all this aggro I've discovered a different way to send email! Well, the first time I tried I got an error message "syntax error in parameters or arguments 501". But after logging on again (totally different look too) I was able to send ok. The Sent box worked too, which didn't before. Lots of catching up to do!

Wardio2
Dabbler

Hi OP. I’ve discovered that using my iPad to send results in the following error message”cannot connect to the Outgoing Mail Server for relay.plus.net. The connection to the outgoing server “relay.plus.net” failed.

deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Hi @Wardio2

Are you able to send fine on other devices, or are you getting the same error on all? If it's just the iPad you are getting this issue, I would recommend resetting your settings on the iPad and trying again.