cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send emails - relay.plus.net refusing connection

FIXED
softdoc00

Unable to send emails - relay.plus.net refusing connection

My POP3 account on Outlook 2016 32-bit edition, suddenly stopped sending e-mails, but could still receive.

I deleted the account and tried to set it up using the info at https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email/ with the additional info: "If you've been with us a while, your domain might be '.force9.co.uk or '.free-online.net'. If so, change '.plus.net' to '.force9.net' or '.free-online.net' for both your incoming and outgoing servers."

Repeated combinations of parameter settings allow the incoming test to pass but the outgoing (relay.force9.net) to fail.  One of the latest errors was:

"Send test email message: Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing the encryption method. Contact your mail server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for additional assistance."

I am appealing to the community for help, since the two chat sessions with PlusNet employees result only in their smug assertion that the error does not lie with them, so they are unwilling to help me move forward.

3 REPLIES 3
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Unable to send emails - relay.plus.net refusing connection

Fix

I believe that Outlook assumes that the outgoing Email server at Plusnet's end will, like the most of the world, be encrypted. Plusnet's are still in the last century and unencrypted. You need to set the outgoing port in Outlook to 587 or 25. See 'what other settings do I need' here. https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email/

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

It is not just a matter of setting the port (should be 587) but also ensuring encryption has not been presumed (set it to none).

I would guess that some software update changed the setting!!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

softdoc00

That solved the problem!

Many thanks for the timeous response