cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send emails - relay.plus.net refusing connection

Treworder

Unable to send emails - relay.plus.net refusing connection

I am traveling on board ship and have been using e-mail in outlook 2016 successfully for several weeks using the ships WIFI connection

I sent e-mails successfully all day yesterday until late evening when I started to receive the error message
“error 0x800CCC92 e-mail server rejected log in Verify user name and password”
I know both user name and password are correct.
Nothing has been changed in terms of settings

The SMTP authentication box is ticked and using the same settings as my incoming mail server

I am receiving mail with no problem

I have re booted computer several times and left the problem overnight all to no avail and rejection box still appearing when trying to send

I have several e-mail accounts and all are displaying the same error message when trying to send mail

I can send e-mails using WebMail

Can someone please confirm that this is a Plus Net problem or advise a solution. Imperative that I am able to send e-mails.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Unable to send emails - relay.plus.net refusing connection

I think this can occur if the mailbox storage on your PC has become corrupted. This might happen, for instance, if disconnection occurs during mailbox update.

I suggest trying to set the account up again from scratch. If incoming access uses IMAP, ideally delete the existing account first.

David
Treworder

Thanks but have tried setting up again with same result!

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29
Treworder

Thanks for previous post

OK have determined that it is not a problem with either lap top computer or programmes.

Have downloaded and set up again Outlook 2016 in Office 365 on laptop with same result

Have tried sending e-mails on Samsung notebook using Outlook 2013 on Windows 7 with same error message

Relay plus net refusing connection and asking for log in details!!!

So is it a Plus Net problem?

Internet slow but OK for other web pages!

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Can you connect to relay.plus.net using telnet at a command prompt? Enter

telnet relay.plus.net 587
then
ehlo relay
after the screen clears and a server response appears

Because you are not on a Plusnet connection to continue you would have to enter

auth login
then
your username
your password
both of these Base64 encoded when prompted (with Base64 encoded strings)

Online Base64 encoding tool https://www.base64encode.org/.

You could continue to actually send a message as shown in post https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Thunderbird/m-p/1523989#M22965. If this sends it implies the problem is not with Plusnet.

David
Treworder

Problem still persists.

Thanks for trying to assist but last post somewhat complicated and am having difficulty in following instructions.

How do I connect with a command prompt.

Sorry to be a bit Thick but not really up to speed with the intricacies of computers when it gets beyond the basics.

Am still waiting for a response from Plus Net regarding the problem but am not holding my breath that they can resolve

spraxyt
Resting Legend

For starters Microsoft stopped enabling telnet on Windows by default, so enabling it might be necessary. How to do this with Windows 10 is illustrated in post https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Thunderbird/m-p/1523768#M22952. The process for older versions of Windows is similar, easily found by a Google search.

Then opening a command prompt window is described and illustrated in Message #13 in that topic. Using it to check POP3 connectivity is illustrated in the rest of that message, but you said that works anyway.

Message #18 in that topic is the one I linked to in my last post. That illustrates how to use telnet to test sending a message. However because you are not on a Plusnet connection, after connecting and entering the ehlo relay line you will have to authenticate. I explained how to do this in my previous post. The server requires your username and password to be entered as Base64 encoded strings so you would have to generate these using the online tool I linked to, or an alternative of your choice. Then copy and paste the encoded strings into the telnet dialogue. If authentication succeeds you can enter the remaining headers and text to send a message.

Successful authentication and sending should demonstarte that Plusnet are not blocking sending.

David