cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send emails - relay.plus.net appears to reject credentials (hosted domain/email account)

FIXED
myint22
Hooked
Fixes: 2

Unable to send emails - relay.plus.net appears to reject credentials (hosted domain/email account)

Hi, using Outlook 13 successfully for months to send/receive email until I returned from a trip on Sunday.

Outlook is now requesting a re-enter my username and password for relay.plus.net and refuses to accept them.

I can retrieve email no problem. I am using a paid-for hosted email domain (£1.06 a month) so should be able to send via the relay from another different broadband supplier.

-I've checked credentials are 100% correct by accessing Webmail a number of times

-Ive been through all the connection settings for Outlook a dozen times, they hadn't changed,as expected.

-I can resolve relay.plus.net from a cmd prompt

I spent 10 minutes explaining to telephone support and they suggested I now contact Outlook about it as apparently relay.plus.net can't be a problem if I can access webmail (bizarre logic, I think).

Any ideas please? Really need to get this back up and running asap.

9 REPLIES 9
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Unable to send emails - relay.plus.net appears to reject credentials (hosted domain/email accoun

As you're using another supplier have you tried using port 587 as the outgoing port?
myint22
Hooked

Re: Unable to send emails - relay.plus.net appears to reject credentials (hosted domain/email accoun

Yes, using 587 as recommended.

Browni
Aspiring Hero

In Outlook there is an option to test the connection, what is the error message returned by that?

myint22
Hooked

Using the Test Account Settings button brings up the enter username and password box from Outlook.

However its already completed the Incoming test successfully with those credentials, which are of course, the same!

I can press OK and have it retry as many times as I like until I press Cancel and then the task error message is reported:

Your email server rejected your login. Verify your username and password in Account Settings.

No encryption or SSL services are ticked, just to use SMTP authentication. Nothing has changed from what's been working fantastically for months and months! Undecided

Browni
Aspiring Hero

Sounds like you have it setup correctly.

This may be worth a bash to see the point of failure.

You may need to refer to this to enable telnet.

myint22
Hooked

Yes, had started tracert and other diagnostics and then decided to try an alternative tack and installed Thunderbird using the same credentials - this time no problem.... so perhaps it is Outlook.

There's no outstanding Windows updates but will check if any optionals have appeared for Outlook etc and see where it gets to.

Thanks for all your help.

Browni
Aspiring Hero

You're welcome mate.

It may not be solved yet but at least you know where the problem lies.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Outlook 20xx is prone to rejecting the username/password combination even when it is correct. The solution seems to be to delete the problem account from Outlook, then set it up again.

David
myint22
Hooked

Fix
The solution was, rather disappointingly, to have to force an update of all Windows and office related stuff. I can't tell which of the dozens of optional updates fixed it but one of them did. Quite why something had impacted Office 2013's email account handling without warning, i dont know.
As soon as updates were applied and pc restarted again I could send via relay with no issues.
Thanks for help people, no thanks MS!