cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send emails from laptop abroad

Overit

Unable to send emails from laptop abroad

I have move abroad for a while even though (obviously) not on plusnet broadband did manage to send emails eventually by following the email set up guide whilst in hotels.  Now I have set up home internet I cannot get it to work on my laptop (windows 7 - livemail) or my husband's (windows 8).  I managed to lose all my emails deleting the account and starting again but it still doesn't work.  I have managed to get it to work on the various apple devices we have but I prefer to use the laptop keyboard.  Can anyone put me out of my misery?
I would call but when I left the UK there was generally a 45 minute wait time which isn't an option and ironically you can't email questions.
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: Unable to send emails from laptop abroad

When you say 'can't get it to work' is that with sending, receiving or both?
That's RPM to you!!
Overit

I just can't send
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Your out going smtp server should have the following characteristics...
Server: relay.plus.net
Port: 587
Authentication: Required, use same as incoming server
SSL: Off
If it still does not work, please post the error message here.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Overit

Brilliant thanks.  It was the port number needed changing.  Don't suppose you know how to find the deleted emails do you?  Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

that would need staff input as deleting an account may or may not have deleted the emails from the system
Overit

I think it probably has.  It warned me that emails not in storage folders would be deleted but I thought I had put them all in storage folders.  I guess I will only find out how much of a problem it is when I need one of them.