Did you mean: 

Unable to send emails from a Virgin connection + Escalation path

FIXED
madswitcher
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Unable to send emails from a Virgin connection + Escalation path

Thanks Gandalf,

Could you also impress upon your engineers that my wife runs a small business via email and has to keep related emails client-side. She is losing money while being unable to send messages so there is some urgency for her for this to be solved.

Regards

Mike

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @madswitcher,

I'm really sorry to hear that you've been affected by this issue. I can see that this has been raised to the relevant team and we will work towards a solution for this as soon as possible, though at this stage we don't have any estimated timeframe for the investigation of the issue.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I'm just updating you here that we've found the cause of the problem and this is raised under ref: IMT-3230 for further investigation. Essentially, it looks like your account is marked as free in the database, which stops the use of relay.plus.net, but it should be marked as paid (though paid accounts are now free, so you won't be charged).

Will update you when I know more.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
madswitcher
Pro

Hi again Gandalf,

Thanks for that - good news.

That sort of makes sense as the same thing happened (I think) about a year ago when I was getting my e-mails free from Plusnet without having a Plusnet paid account.  At that time, I then switched my ISP to Plusnet and had to have another account domain (Hastings1603) as Hastings1066 was taken (by me).  Plusnet admin then switched my Hastings1066 email account to be free as I was now a bona- fide paid up customer.

So it looks like some house keeping was done around the 12th of November this year and the Hastings1066 account was blocked.  Hopefully any fix you put in place will not occur in another years time 🙂

Interestingly, my Hastings1066 account is still alive and well as my primary accounts since I can log into it and webmail etc. still work.

Could you kindly let me know when you think a fix has be put in place?

Thanks for your help on this,

Kind regards

Mike

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @madswitcher, I can confirm this looks to be a recent issue identified and it's still early days since the incident was opened. I and I imagine my colleague @Gandalf will be keeping an eye on the incident for any updates and the moment we know more regarding updates and hopefully a fix we'll be sure to let you know.

madswitcher
Pro

Hi again guys

it is now 3 weeks ago since this problem started and I reported it, and my wife is still without the capability of doing her business.

I reported the problem to the telephone support group and eventually to this forum as an alternative as the telephone guys could get no further, despite me explaining the situation and the cause.  With all due respect, the fact that a ticket has recently been raised is not my problem - we are 3 weeks without being able to send emails due to Plusnet's fault and I need to have this escalated and resolved - it was resolved last year so the resolution must be known.

Regards

Mike

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

@madswitcher,

I'm sorry but this issue is still open with our networks team. I'm afraid there's nothing anyone in the support centre (this includes the forums) to resolve this issue for you, and there is no escalation path either. It will get resolved but looking at the history of the problems.

Surely, though you should be able to send mail perfectly fine by just changing your outgoing mail settings to the relevant Virgin ones (though it will likely ask for the mailbox auth details again). 

madswitcher
Pro

Hi Jolo,

I tried that one. Virgin use SSL for authentication on their SMTP server and their setup states that the email has to come from mail addresses ending in 'viginmedia.com'.

Thanks for the suggestion

Mike

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Even if this is resolved soon there's a good chance you'll face similar issues again in the future.

I'd strongly recommend registering your own domain with one of the many non-ISP hosting companies which would avoid such issues. Moving your own domain between hosting companies is not at all difficult if it ever became necessary.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Mike.

I can see this has been raised with our database analyst team to make the necessary changes to the database to mark the paid flag on your account accordingly, so you'd be able to send mail via our SMTP server.

Will update you when I know more.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
madswitcher
Pro

Gandalf

do you have any news on this yet? Or even when they think they will fix the problem.

Regards

Mike

Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Hello @madswitcher

We are deeply sorry for the issue you are having.

Unfortunately, there are no updates from the relevant team yet. We have an open ticket on your account which you can view by Clicking Here

Once we receive a new notification, we will notify you and continue to assist you further.

We appreciate your continued patience.

Many thanks.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

@madswitcher, just to keep you updated regarding this issue and to set expectations.

I'm afraid that it's not likely to get fixed until at least after the new year as we're in the Christmas change freeze period where we can't make a change like this to the database.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused by the continued delays, but we've not forgotten about this.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
madswitcher
Pro

Hi Anoush,

so I have been a good boy and not hassled you for 3 weeks or so, so now can you let me know when you will be fixing the problem associated with my email account so I can send from Virgin media?.

Thanks - and a happy New Year to you all.

Mike

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @madswitcher 

@Gandalf is not in today so I've taken the liberty of checking this for you myself. 

Whilst there appears to have been internal updates and more work done on the task since we last updated you - there has been no noticeable fresh customer information to provide, I'm afraid. 

Apologies for being somewhat vague, specific information is not permitted to be provided until there are new customer affecting updates to share. 

We will keep you posted. 

Thanks,

MoR