cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send email

katpaw
Grafter

Unable to send email

Hi. Normally I would raise a ticket for this but I can't as I have three tickets open relating to house move etc, and I cannot close any of them.
I am currently temporarily accessing internet via a wireless dongle and I cannot send email, but can receive OK.
On trying to send I get the error:
"Sending of message failed. This message could not be sent because the connection to the SMTP server relay.force9.net timed out.  Try again or contact your administrator".
This error has been occurring since at least 10PM last night. This was the first time I'd checked my email in 5 days. 5 days ago I was able to receive OK, still using the dongle.
I suspect something happened as a result of my ongoing account change/upgrade.
Any ideas please Support? Many thanks in anticipation.
10 REPLIES 10
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Unable to send email

You normally have to be connected to a plusnet IP address to use the plusnet SMTP (mail) server relay.plus.net - this is a security feature to stop spammers using it to send emails through it. If the wireless dongle is with another broadband customer then you need to use their SMTP server for sending emails. However, PN do support authenticated SMTP so you could try setting up your SMTP connection to use a login/password when sending, which will be your normal account login & password.
PN allow any connection to receive emails.
katpaw
Grafter

Peter, that's explains it, great stuff. I'm using a dongle from Three that I've borrowed from my dad whilst I'm waiting for my line to be activated.
I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird for email. Can you point me in the right direction for these settings? I've tried Account Settings --> Outgoing (SMTP) but not sure what to do from here.
Thanks again, cheers, Paul
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Connection security: none
Authentication method: Password, transmitted insecurely
User name: As Peter said this must be your main account name and password that you use to log in to the portal (not a mailbox login).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

another peculiarity is that you have to be sent an e-mail to activate your mail, before you can send any
ignore didnt read your first properly
katpaw
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Connection security: none
Authentication method: Password, transmitted insecurely
User name: As Peter said this must be your main account name and password that you use to log in to the portal (not a mailbox login).

Thanks again for this. Still no luck. What format do I put my username and password in, as there is no field for password?
I have tried just my username and username+password, without success?
All the best
Paul
jelv
Seasoned Hero

As Peter and I have both said you put in your username only (not the username+mailbox). It will prompt you for the password the first time you try to send and you can then tell it to remember the password.
katpaw
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
As Peter and I have both said you put in your username only (not the username+mailbox). It will prompt you for the password the first time you try to send and you can then tell it to remember the password.

I did not put in username+mailbox, I put in username+password, and I also stated that I tried just my username, still with no luck.
I have tried this again, ie settings as described and just my username. On trying to send a test email I get the same timeout error and am not prompted for a password.
Any further thoughts?
Cheers
Paul
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I'm using a dongle from Three

Three block access to any smtp server OTHER than their own. You will not be able to send via the PlusNet smtp server when connected to the Three network using a dongle. In these circumstances you need to change your outgoing smtp server to smtp-mbb.three.co.uk.
Hope that helps.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
Three! I should have spotted that. Sad
Sorry, katpaw for leading you up the garden path. You won't be able to use Plusnet's server for outgoing mailas the block is imposed by three.
If the senders email address is your three email address you can use the normal three server. If you have it set up with your Plusnet email address as the sender you have to use the server MisterW specified.
katpaw
Grafter

Cheers guys. Putting in smtp-mbb.three.co.uk did the trick!  Cheesy
At least I can now send email until by broadband is activated at my new place.
Thanks again, all the best
Paul