Did you mean: 

Unable to send email

Mardler
Rising Star

Unable to send email

I can't send email, again.

No changes since yesterday.

Using ipad app, imap.

Error msg: cannot send email the username or password for relay.plus.net is incorrect (in popup).

What's up, PN?

6 REPLIES 6
Mardler
Rising Star

Re: Unable to send email

Suddenly, my test emails appeared.

Sent another: it worked.

It would be interesting to know what happened at PN.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Probably nothing.

Is Plusnet your ISP?

Was the iPad connected via a Plusnet broadband service?

If the answer is "no" then it is highly likely that the connection was refused because the third party IP address has been deemed to be suspect.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mardler
Rising Star

"Probably nothing." It's happened a few times before: every one was a PN fault for which I and others had apologies.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

In the absence of details of what happened before, it is not possible to comment on history.  You have not answered the question about how you were connected to the internet.

Invariably the now it works, now it does not, now it works scenario in respect of connecting to the SMTP server (reported as a password error) is down to...

1. Connecting to the server on a third party IP address, as in being on a wifi hot spot (rather than a Plusnet broadband connection) or over 3/4/5G mobile
  2. That IP address being deemed as having a poor reputation

Some event which causes a change in the IP address might acquire a clean one or another also having a poor reputation.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mardler
Rising Star

"In the absence of details of what happened before, it is not possible to comment on history." You can't comment but I and PN can.

I know exactly how the system works and can categorically state that nothing changed at my end. It's elementary: if nothing changes in the status of one node of a transmission system that node can be eliminated from suspicion.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

You still have not advised if you are connected via Plusnet or a third party.

There is much which can change which you cannot see ... not within the domain of your email client or Plusnet's mail servers.