cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send email using Three MiFi dongle

Word_Warrior
Grafter

Unable to send email using Three MiFi dongle

When using my Macbookpro away from my regular plusnet BB I use a Three MiFi dongle. However, I can't send emails using Mail. I can receive okay. I've checked the settings and they match those on my iPhone on O2 and password authentication is set in the advanced part of the account settings. Anybody got any clues? I need to get this fixed for next week if possible.
36 REPLIES 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unable to send email using Three MiFi dongle

Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) needs to be configured for Three, not O2.
(Don't know the settings, Three should be able to tell you, Website?)
(Don't forget to also set the [edit SMTP server list] advanced options)
I have this problem using T-Mobile BB when not using Plusnet.
When I use Orange MBB, I choose my previously set Orange SMTP Outgoing Mail Server.
Details came with Orange 3G SIM and Dongle.
I actually POP3 my emails from Tesco webmail, so if needs be I can send emails directly from Tesco website.
If you POP3 Mail, you could also do the same from your webmail.
If you have an Orange phone, you can set up proxy (pretend) email addresses from your account webmail, so that emails sent from Orange surrogate email addresses appear as if from your actual email address (my terminology may be slightly wrong), and replies received there also.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Yep that figures, Three block access on port 25 to anything other than their own smtp server. You will need to use smtp-mbb.three.co.uk as the outgoing server ( without authentication ) when using the Mifi.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Word_Warrior
Grafter

Quote from: PlusComUK
Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) needs to be configured for Three, not O2.
(Don't know the settings, Three should be able to tell you, Website?)
(Don't forget to also set the [edit SMTP server list] advanced options)
I have this problem using T-Mobile BB when not using Plusnet.
When I use Orange MBB, I choose my previously set Orange SMTP Outgoing Mail Server.
Details came with Orange 3G SIM and Dongle.
I actually POP3 my emails from Tesco webmail, so if needs be I can send emails directly from Tesco website.
If you POP3 Mail,you could also do the same from your webmail.

I realise that it shouldn't configured to O2  Roll_eyes but there is a setting now (I was told a whle back by PN) that all operators are supposed to allow through. These settings are supposed to be universal. It's supposed to be something to do with Authentication set to Password and it works on my phone with PN outgoing mail server settings which happens to be O2. Theorhetically this should also work for Three but it doesn't.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: MisterW
Yep that figures, Three block access on port 25 to anything other than their own smtp server. You will need to use smtp-mbb.three.co.uk as the outgoing server ( without authentication ) when using the Mifi.

This is the correct solution. Three block you from using any SMTP server except their own. In addition their standard server blocks you from sending with the senders address set to anything but three, if you want to send using your Plusnet email as the senders address you must use smtp-mbb.three.co.uk as the outgoing server.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

or you can go to the PN website and use web mail, that works with no problem on the 3 MiFi
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Word
I realise that it shouldn't configured to O2  Roll_eyes but there is a setting now (I was told a whle back by PN) that all operators are supposed to allow through. These settings are supposed to be universal. It's supposed to be something to do with Authentication set to Password and it works on my phone with PN outgoing mail server settings which happens to be O2. Theorhetically this should also work for Three but it doesn't.

What are the generic universal  settings mentioned pls ?
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Quote from: PlusComUK
Quote from: Word
I realise that it shouldn't configured to O2  Roll_eyes but there is a setting now (I was told a whle back by PN) that all operators are supposed to allow through. These settings are supposed to be universal. It's supposed to be something to do with Authentication set to Password and it works on my phone with PN outgoing mail server settings which happens to be O2. Theorhetically this should also work for Three but it doesn't.

What are the generic universal  settings mentioned pls ?

Off the top of my head you put the usual mail.plus.net and relay.plus.net in with your username+emailprefix and in advanced you put in the authentication as "yourpassword" this works on O2 without having to use the O2 SMTP thingy. But as pointed out previously, Three don't comply with that which is pants  Crazy
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Okay guys, thanks for your help. First reaction is to send the thing back as not fit for purpose but I need a mobile wifi and at the moment £ for £ Thr33 is the best deal so will have to use webmail (not ideal) or faff about with smtp when away from home.  Sad
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Quote from: MisterW

This is the correct solution. Three block you from using any SMTP server except their own. In addition their standard server blocks you from sending with the senders address set to anything but three, if you want to send using your Plusnet email as the senders address you must use smtp-mbb.three.co.uk as the outgoing server.

This is RUBBISH! (not your explaination, Three's blocking) As far as I know everyone else allows password authentication, it's explained somewhere else on this forum because I used the info to get my iphone (1) to work and it's worked through all three ipones I've had without a hitch.
Bloody Three!! Angry
Anonymous
Not applicable

The thing that would really help is if Plusnet support the alternative SMTP TCP port 587  - which is less likely to be blocked by wireless networks.
Unfortunately I can't find any relevant info on the Plusnet site, so it would be helpful if a member of staff could make a statement on whether this is or will be available - as this problem will only get worse as more customers start using 3G dongles when travelling.
http://mostlygeek.com/tech/smtp-on-port-587/
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: purleigh
The thing that would really help is if Plusnet support the alternative SMTP TCP port 587...

Watch this space guys Smiley
Anonymous
Not applicable

That sounds promising !  Cool
orrery
Grafter

Sadly not. I've just requested this through a support ticket and the situation is (this is a verbatim quote from the ticket response):
"As for your query towards us not using the port 587, even though other users do, we do take all feedback on board and if the need came to light that we needed to use this port then it would be used.  As it stands we do not have enough demand from our customers to need to use port 587."
So there you have it guys - the need has't come to light and there isn't enough demand!
dick:quote
Adelian

Crazy! So what are we supposed to do - keep swapping smtp servers as our laptops roam between our home networks and the dongle? This has been discussed  loads of time in these fora so there is a demand and anyway, just how difficult is it to open a second port ? Other email providers do it as standard.