cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send email - all being rejected as spam (err 451)

FIXED
cowboycoder

Unable to send email - all being rejected as spam (err 451)

I'm not sure what's changed, but since Friday (20/12/19) I've been unable to send any emails, from any mail client I have setup, or even the webmail interface, regardless of connecting to relay.force9.net via a Plusnet BB connection, or from a mobile connection.

Is anyone else seeing this? Has a new set of rules been pushed to the SMTP relay, that I might now be hitting?

7 REPLIES 7
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Unable to send email - all being rejected as spam (err 451)

Are you sending using your own domain name?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

cowboycoder

I've tried it with FROM addresses both of my usual domain (cowboycoder.com) and also the F9 domain (cowboycoder.force9.co.uk) and they are rejected just the same.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @cowboycoder,

It's possible that this is due to the email settings. Please could you try changing the settings by logging into your Member Centre and going to the Email Settings and changing how the mail is sent.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@TheMightyAJ

Alex, can you please expand on that advice? AFAIK there are no user options matching your guidance.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Fix
This is likely something to do with one of the email addresses you're sending from, one of the email addresses you're sending to, or something in the body of the email that our spam filters have taken a disliking to. Do you have an email signature, or is there a common destination email address you're trying to send to across you're devices/email clients? I've checked cowboycoder.com and it comes back clear.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

cowboycoder

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the help, by a process of elimination, it seems to have been a URL in the email (www.activelook.net) I've no idea why this would be disallowed, I've never had an issue with URLs in emails before (plain text or HTML).

Is there some setting I can control to dial down the aggressiveness of the filter?

A.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@cowboycoder, you can't control the aggressiveness of the outbound filtering, however I have just reset the reputation of that URL so if you try again you should find all is well.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵