cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send e-mail from blackberry z10

mrmu

Unable to send e-mail from blackberry z10

I am a newly joined memeber of Plus net, my broadband being connected 11/11/2013.
I am experiencing problems receiving and sending my e-mail from my Blackberry Z10. (The Z10 is not supported from the BIS settings website.)
The email works fine when the phone is connected to my home wifi, but fails when connected to work wifi or Orange mobile network.
Reading other posts / instructions this should be cured by setting SMTP authentication.
I have set this up but it makes no difference at all.
I have tried using port 25 and port 587 for outgoing mail
I have been told I need to change the SMTP server settings to use the  orange server and my works server.
As the phone only allows one setting . this  means changing my settings at least twice a day to maintain e-mail connection.
I find it hard to believe access to the plus net server is rejected by Orange.
I would add I did not have this problem with my previous supplier
The settings on my phone are:
Username: myusername
email address: brian@myusername.plus.com
password: my password
Server address: mail.plus.net
Port:110
Use SSL: OFF
SMTP username:myusername
password: my password
SMTP server address: relay.plus.net
SMTP port: 587
SMTP Encryption: Off

7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Unable to send e-mail from blackberry z10

Reading other posts / instructions this should be cured by setting SMTP authentication.
I have set this up but it makes no difference at all.
I have tried using port 25 and port 587 for outgoing mail
That's correct, setting SMTP authentication should allow you to send from any network. Port 587 is the one to use since some networks will block port 25. You could try using a mailbox username & password e.g myusername+mailboxname & mailbox password. I have my netbook and tablet set up for authenticated SMTP and it works from any (well most!) networks. I have a separate mailbox called mobile which I just use for authentication purposes rather than using the main account details.  The only problem I've encountered is that on some public networks it appears is possible for the PN mail servers anti-spam deletection to reject the SMTP connection ( even though authenticated ) due to blacklisting issues.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Quote from: mrmu
...fails when connected to work wifi or Orange mobile network.
I find it hard to believe access to the plus net server is rejected by Orange.

I have both iPhones and iPads using multiple accounts successfully accessing PN email via both home WiFi, public WiFi and Orange 3G - however in some locations (specific cells?) SMTP connectivity does not work over 3G.  You might find that 3G works in a different location.  As for your work location, can you be certain that your work firewalls allow access to external SMTP servers?  Personally I would consider that to be a security risk to your employer's data security - you could "export" no end of data with no tracking through a corporate email system!!  Tongue

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mrmu

Thanks for the replies so far, it's encouraging to know it should work at least through the Orange network
Do I need to make any changes to the PN settings to make SMTP authentication work?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

No, there is nothing to change.

mrmu

I'm struggling to know what to do next now.
Anybody help?
mrmu

I tested the login authentication using a telenet procedure found on this forum, this failed when using a wifi connection other than my home connection.
I attached the details of the telnet test to my question with Plus net support and left the question open.
One of the support team tested the connection using their Outlook sofware and I received the test message sent by Outlook.
As I do not personnally use Outlook, this prompted me to retest the link from my mobile, and work wifi connection.
It works perfectly!
I can now send and receive e-mails from my mobile and laptop from wifi connections other than my home wifi.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Glad to see you got it working. Smiley  I wonder if there was a problem because your account was new, and perhaps hadn't been configured properly by PN ? Maybe the support people corrected something as part of their tests.