cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send e mail from Samsung Galaxy s4

Gats

Unable to send e mail from Samsung Galaxy s4

Morning,
took delivery of new samsung this week, entered all connection details from my old HTC re email but have hit a major snag. I can recieve email from my Plus net account but not send. Spent 45 mins in vodafone shop last night without success, they said I must go back to plus net. After the obligatory 15 minute wait i got thorough to a very polite handler but was told that there have not been any changes to protocols and what worked on my HTC should work on the Samsung.......it is a problem with vodafone.
I have tried all the different port variations, user name and password options but it just is not happening.
Any help in plain easy to follow terms would be most welcome
Many thanks
Gats Sad     
8 REPLIES 8
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

Re: Unable to send e mail from Samsung Galaxy s4

There's a setup guide here http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/android-setup.shtml and you might also find this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,119470.0.html worth a look

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gats

Hi,
many thanks for the response. I have followed the plus net guide and have already been through the forum you mentioned earlier today. I am still at the stage where it says it is unable to connect. The only difference i have is that this is a 4G phone whereas my HTC was 3G. I can send from my gmail account no problem. 
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

As in that thread
The standard Android email client is not helpful, just telling me that my user name or password are incorrect (not true). However I also tried the K-9 mail app and this gave more information "Cannot connect to server. Negative SMTP reply: 535 authentication rejected as source IP has a poor reputation".
is it possible to try with k9 mail to get more details on the actual error

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

artmo
Aspiring Champion

@Gats, I think a few people have raised this problem in the past.  I solved it with the following settings:
incoming server settings POP3 server mail.plus.net using port 110 and outgoing server setting relay.plus.net using port 25.
Worked for me on my Samsung phone and tablet.
ckcomputing
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

@Gats - I use the following settings on my Galaxy S2
SMTP Server - relay.plus.net
Security Type - None
Port - 587
Require Sign-In - Ticked
User Name - Your plusnet username
Password - Your plusnet password
SMTP submission port (Port 587) is supported by almost all mail servers.
If you haven't already solved the issue, give the above a try.
Regards,
Brian  Grin
Professionals are predictable - it's the amateurs that are dangerous!
Gats

Hi Brian,
apologies for slow response (and to other posters) but I have been away for a few days. I tried your solution this morning and it promptly sent one email straight away. It has refused to send any more but we are definately onto something, I will keep you posted.
Many thanks   
artmo
Aspiring Champion

@Gats, the info I gave in post #4 was given to me by Plusnet  so if you get stuck give them a call and they will talk you through it.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

The settings in post 5 are more correct for authenticated SMPT across any network.  Note PN still do not use SSL encryption.