cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send - are my SMTP settings okay ?

FIXED
Peterworks
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Unable to send - are my SMTP settings okay ?

I have been unable to send emails since the outage. I assume the outage is the problem but can someone please check the attached to confirm or otherwise that my settings are correct. I have XXX'd my user name.

Thank you

11 REPLIES 11
simonc2
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Unable to send - are my SMTP settings okay ?

Check the following post:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/No-email-this-morning-10-November/m-p/1839316#M37191

which suggests changing the outgoing server from relay.plus.net to the plusnet DNS. It has allowed me to send plusnet emails from Outlook as well as receive them although messages sent from non-plusnet email addresses which use the same outgoing server won't send.

Miriam
Grafter

My problems seem to have now been resolved, I noticed during the outage my broadband, thankfully, was not affected.   I checked with the Plus Net “status” page but email is still showing red?

Tony_C
Hooked
Fixes: 1

It's showing red because some of us still can't send emails, though reception seems to have been sorted out.

Peterworks
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Fix

Would you believe it !!!

Have not changed a thing and can now send without any problem.

Thankyou for your responses.

halyards

Lucky you - finally started being able to send this afternoon for first time since Tuesday night but same problem back again......
CWatters
Grafter

Some people report it's still a bit hit and miss.

For several years I've been using MS Outlook with the outgoing server set to "smtp.plus.net" (without quotes) not "relay.plus.net".

Today my PC still wasn't sending email so I looked on the forum and found a suggestion to temporarily change from "smtp.plus.net" to "212.159.8.107". That seems to work for me.

I believe these are all the same server but specifying the IP address avoids it doing a DNS lookup. This might explain why some computers we have work fine and others don't (eg some are using a different DNS server to others).

If you try "212.159.8.107" and it works remember to put it back to "relay.plus.net" or "smtp.plus.net" in a few days because if Plusnet change the IP address in the future it may stop working again. If its set to smtp or relay any changes should be automatically handled.

lyndonp
Grafter

Same here can receive but no longer send emails.
Can somebody please give an up to date status as opposed to 45 page post.

Is there an issue with the relay.plus.net ?
lyndonp
Grafter

I’ve tried the 212.159.8.107 and that comes back with an error.
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Most customers should now be able to log in their Plusnet email, however they may experience a delay when sending and receiving emails. Plusnet emails can be accessed using an email client as normal.

We’re working to fix this as quickly as possible. We’re sorry this has taken longer than expected and for the inconvenience caused. Plusnet broadband and mobile services are not affected.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
halyards

Complete rubbish - Plusnet have been posting the same response since Tuesay night which tells us nothing other than 1. You font know what is wrong 2. You can't fix it 3 You dont care about your customers as evidenced by sending out you monthly bill yesterday when we have had no e mail since Tuesday night.
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @halyards, thanks for getting back to us. I am sorry you're disappointed with your monthly bill. Your bills cover your landline/ broadband services (and any other services you may pay for) with us, so your bills will continue to run as normal in the meantime.

I am sorry for the continued inconvenience caused by the email issues.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team