cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to receive plusnet e-mails over Vodafone data (sending works fine)

FF101
Dabbler

Unable to receive plusnet e-mails over Vodafone data (sending works fine)

I have been a Plusnet broadband customer forever although did have a period when I was not.  I am still using the e-mail address from my old free account, as I prefer it to the one I signed up with when I returned to Plusnet.

I change mobile provider from time to time and recently changed from Plusnet to Vodafone.

Although there have been issues from time to time sending over random networks, I have never had a problem picking up my Plusnet e-mail over either wifi or any data network - UK or foreign.

Suddenly, I am no longer able to pick up my Plusnet e-mail over my new Vodafone data phone connection. I get a 'Socket Timeout'.    As the Vodafone contract is fairly new, I am not sure if the problem has been there since I got the Vodafone contract a couple of weeks ago, although I first noticed it only yesterday. 

Collection over wifi is working fine and I can pick up from other e-mail accounts over the data connection.   

Any clues as to what the issue might be ?Huh

3 REPLIES 3
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: Unable to receive plusnet e-mails over Vodafone data (sending works fine)

Hi @FF101 ,

Thanks for your post.

Whilst I'm leaning towards this being a mobile network issue rather than a Plusnet email issue, can you confirm this is only occurring on the new device?

Do you use an email client (an app on your phone for emails) or a webmail service (i.e go to a website to collect mail)?

If using a client, are you able to log into the www.webmail.plus.net site on your mobiles browser?

Please let us know, at your convenience.

FF101
Dabbler

Thanks for your response.  I also think it is likely a mobile network issue, as I changed the SIM for a spare 3Three sim and all worked fine.  I do use a client (K9 Mail).  The device is not new, its the mobile contract that is new.

I am actually abroad at the moment, not currently using data on my phone so cant check access to the webmail you mention.  

I am having an issue with the port of my number from Plusnet to Vodafone, as Vodafone say that Plusnet did not send all the relevant files (whatever that means), so they have been unable to set up my voicemail properly.  It seems impobable to me, but could this issue in some way be connected ?

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak): Full quote of preceding post removed as per the forum rules

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

The number porting shouldn't be causing any issues as it's a separate system from your e-mails.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team