Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to receive emails when connected at work

FIXED
Sooty08
Hooked

Unable to receive emails when connected at work

All the time I am connected to my router at home, or via a mobile connection emails on my PC send and receive fine, using Outlook. As soon as I connect at work, I receive a connection error.

I have checked that the SMTP settings are correct, tried re-connecting, turned off and on etc. The passwords / user name are fine as I can send and receive no problem elsewhere. My ipad and phone work perfectly fine.

This problem has only occured recently, but nothing has changed at work. A few days ago it worked fine. What am I doing wrong?

8 REPLIES 8
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Unable to receive emails when connected at work

Hi there, is there a specific error Outlook is giving you? You'd not be able to send through our SMTP service on a network outside of ours unless you've opted to use SMTP authentication but let us know if you see an error as they tend to point out what the issue is - Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Sooty08
Hooked

Hi Adam,

just get the “send receive” error. I’ve opted for the SMPT authentication and used the same password etc.

I’ll send a screenshot tomorrow if need be. 

Sooty08
Hooked

Now I’m starting to panic. All of my emails from 1.30pm onwards and folders have disappeared! Help!

Sooty08
Hooked

Contacted support - my emails were archived because i had too many. I’ve asked for them to be restored and i will delete or move them.

Sooty08
Hooked

Hi Adam.

Turns out i have two issues. the first i have called customer support about and relates to my having to many emails. I have been told how to deal with that one and that my emails will return forr me to archive them etc.

The second is that I cannot sync my emails at work - I get the error message attached

Task 'Synchronizing subscribed folders for ......' reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders for ..... Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

Works perfectly fine when i am not connected to my work network.

paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Many businesses set up their firewalls to prevent staff & guests from using POP3 email, it's all about making the staff use the official business email system, so that all emails can be scanned and logged.

I'm a trainer, and was onsite last week, and was unable to access my emails on my laptop or my phone. Yeah, it's a PITA, but there's nothing you can do, apart from using yout phone on the 4g, and then tether your laptop.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Thanks for getting back to us @Sooty08 

I'm sorry to see you're experiencing problems with your email service. We've firstly processed a request for your mail to be unarchived and they should drop back down within the hour. 

With regards to the issues you're getting when you're connected to your work's network, it's possible that there's a firewall on your work's network that's causing the problems. It doesn't seem to be anything related to us though if you're able to use your email service normally when on your home broadband or mobile data.

I'd recommend speaking with your IT department at your work as the next step. Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

This topic is somewhat confusing, the title refers to receiving, the details refer to sending.  Email sending and receiving are distinctly different processes usually with markedly different restriction rules on a network, especially a commercial business network.

1. Many commercial operations restrict access to alien POP3 and IMAP (receiving) email services for the enforcement of information privacy and security

2. Many networks totally inhibit connection to SMTP (sending) email services on port 25 which is frequently (incorrectly) used for message submission.  That should be done on port 587.  Far too many email configuration guides still promote the inappropriate use of port 25

3. All access to an on another network SMTP server requires the connection to be authenticated

Many employers take the view that during working hours you are paid to work not do private emailing etc ... In the first instance you might want to risk asking your IT services department if they have implemented access restrictions on their network to help staff not misuse the corporate IT services.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.