cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to receive any mails, via any means!

LastChance
Dabbler

Unable to receive any mails, via any means!

HELP!
I'm a new user of Plusnet, after transferring over from the dreaded TalkTalk last night.
I have Broadband only, and this is working fine. The new router is set up, all the passwords are in place, and surfing seems as good as before. However, while the web email on Plusnet was working last night, soon after the changeover, nothing at all has been received since. The last mail was received at 00:26 this morning, from Plusnet about the Protect software.
OK, my situation is further complicated by having multiple domain names, each with a different email, being forwarded to the Plusnet mail account, which was all setup last night about 22:00 - perhaps this is more than a coincidence? Saying this, all the mail is definitely being received on the domain host's (Everyman: www.everymanhosting.com) webmail, but despite forwarders being set up for each email address, nothing is being received at the Plusnet account.
So all the mail sent to name@mydomain.com is being received on Everyman, but the forwarders sent to myname@myaccount.plus.com aren't. This worked fine with the same principle to my old TakTalk email address.
But if I send a mail from one Plusnet account to another, e.g. myname@myaccount.plus.com to anothername@myaccount.plus.com using the Plusnet webmail, still nothing is received!  Undecided  Surely, that MUST work???
Seems like I've jumped from the frying pan into the fire, but I'm sure it's something stoopid I've overlooked. It is all rather complex to someone who has no domains to handle (I have about 30), but I still think I've covered all the basics. Seems like a flowchart might make better sense...
I also use Thunderbird as my client software, but even with all the proper settings nothing can be sent or received:
POP
Server: mail.plus.net
Username: *************
Port: 110
Connection security: None
Authentification: Password transmitted insecurely
(never been able to work out why TalkTalk used these settings, but perhaps it's industry-wide)
SMTP
Server: relay.plus.net
Port: 25
Password:[/db ]same as above.
Any help is much welcome! I probably won't receive notifications by email, so please bear with me if I'm slow in responding.
8 REPLIES 8
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Unable to receive any mails, via any means!

OK, so I think I've figured this out.
Looking at your mailboxes you've got 2 mailboxes set up. All of your mail seems to be going to username@username.plus.com - however as this has been set up as a separate mailbox to log in to this the username would be username+username along with the password you set up for this mailbox. Hopefully that makes sense!
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
LastChance
Dabbler

Thanks for the quick reply.
I have tried the mailboxes on fl*****il@username.plus.com and d*****d@username.plus.com, but neither receives any mails. I'm sure both use the same password, but I'll go back and check this.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Chris said you do have mail in your 'username' mail box. To access that you need to login with the username text box containing 'username+username' (without the quotes but with your username entered twice and a plus sign ( + ) but no spaces between them).
For example if your account username was hotdog you'd login to mail with hotdog+hotdog in the username box. The password would be the one set up in Manage My Mail for the hotdog mailbox.
This applies in both webmail and Thunderbird.
David
LastChance
Dabbler

Many thanks Chris and spraxyt!
I must admit this is the first time I've ever needed to enter the username twice in this way, but it's working now for which I am grateful.
LastChance
Dabbler

Just a final query: I've just noticed that in Thunderbird I left the SMTP settings with a single username, but this is still sending emails without a problem. I also tried the user+user format and this also works. Any change necessary here?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

If you are sending mail from a PlusNet connection ( i.e connected to your home router ) then you don't need to authenticate with the server ( relay.plus.net ). If you are trying to send mail when not at home ( e.g wifi hotspot ) then you will need to authenticate with you username & password. On say a laptop, tablet or phoen ( which is likely to be used when away from home ) you are also best using port 587 with authentication on the outgoing server as some other networks block access to port 25.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LastChance
Dabbler

Thanks Mr.W. I have a desktop computer, two laptops, tablet and phone - and spend a fair amount of time in Holland - so I appreciate these pearls of wisdom.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: LastChance
Just a final query: I've just noticed that in Thunderbird I left the SMTP settings with a single username, but this is still sending emails without a problem.

Using a single instance of your username is appropriate for accessing your default mailbox (the first one created), although this might have a name different from username. The password for that is not set in MMM (Manage My Mail), it is your account password.
However for accessing additional mailboxes the format is username+mailboxname. Passwords for these are set in MMM.
Note that the + format is used only for accessing additional mailboxes; when sending mail to them the email addresses are always mailboxname@username.plus.com.
Pop-ups within the Plusnet email set-up guides include the following explanation:
[quote=help popups]
Your email username and password
Setting up for the first time?
    Email username: Your Account username
    Email password: Your Account password
Your Account username and password are the ones you log in to this website with.
Setting up an additional Plusnet email address?
    Email username: Your mailbox username (in the format username+mailboxname)
    Email password: Your mailbox password
If you're not sure what these are, check the email we sent after the new address was created.
It might be worth mentioning that for authenticating when sending mail away from home (this also works at home) credentials for any of the mailboxes can be used, it doesn't have to be the one appropriate to the sender.
David