Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to use Thunderbird for receiving and sending my e-mails

FIXED
Marrose
Fixes: 1

Trying to use Thunderbird for receiving and sending my e-mails

I have managed to set up my account of Thunderbird as I thought correct and I know many of you use TB to manage your e-mail account.

however I can sent e-mails from there but I can't receive any.  Have I set up my account right or is there something simple that I have done wrong.

I have attached a print out of how I have set this up  and am wondering if the username for the incoming is not right

I am not too good with the finer point and would be grateful for any help in simple terms I can get.

Moderator's note:
Attachment removed
4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 398

Re: Trying to use Thunderbird for receiving and sending my e-mails

POP3 requires port 995. Port 993 is for IMAP for which the server would be imap.plus.net.

Whether you use POP3 or IMAP depends on where you wish to retain your emails and whether you wish to access from mutiple devices.

IMAP retains the messages on the server, and thus they are available from multiple devices

POP3 downloads message to the device and deletes them from the server

NB You might also wish to redact your username in the attached picture

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Marrose

Fix

Thank you MisterW  - So I should have set the Procol to IMAP so that I don't lose it from Plusnet server or used 995 and POP3 to clear it? 

Also I can't remove or change my file attachment I simply do not know how

A big thank you I have changed the POP3 and i can receive e-mails now wonderful  - very grateful

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 398

Also I can't remove or change my file attachment I simply do not know how

@Marrose Yes, there's only a short period where a post can be edited. I've asked the moderators to either edit the attachment (if possible) or remove it if not, as its no longer needed

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Marrose

Thank you so much I will be more careful in future.