cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring Windows Live Mail to Windows 8 Mail

Vix26
Grafter

Transferring Windows Live Mail to Windows 8 Mail

I have a Madasafish account. I need to transfer Win Live Mail email and contacts from Win 7 to Mail in Win 8 on a new PC. I understand there are problems using POP 3 .
Help would be appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Transferring Windows Live Mail to Windows 8 Mail

If it's a PC rather than a tablet you would be much better-off continuing to use Windows Live Mail.  The Windows 8 Mail App is very short on features; really just designed for checking your email on the move.  It did not support POP3 last time I looked.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

+1. I think it's horrid. WLM is much better.  Wink
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

A while back I was looking to migrate my email from MS Outhouse Express (with a mixture of IMAP and POP3 accounts) on a WinXP PC to Windows Live Mail on my Win7 PC, and whilst reading up on WLM I'm sure I read somewhere that MS are ceasing support in the not too distant future.  I consequently ended up making a decision to use Thunderbird which I'm pleased with so far.
I found it easiest to install TB on the WinXP PC with OE, then export/import my settings on that PC.  I then copied the relevant files which contained all my email accounts etc. across to the Win7 PC after installing TB on it.  About the only thing I didn't manage to transfer was the many Message Rules (mostly used for directing mail from different sources to their allocated folders) that I had configured in OE - TB uses a completely different format for those.
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@RobPN
I'm very interested in what you say about transfering emails from a WinXP to a Win7 running Thunderbird. To save hijacking this thread, I wonder if you'd be willing to expand on your reply in my thread
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,130452.0.html ?
I have never used Thunderbird, so need someone willing to hold my hand in getting files across from OE, and then again in moving from the old to the new computer (presumably this will not be very different in getting to Win8.1 rather than Win7?).
I hope you don't mind me asking?
Chris