cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer of old saved emails from my old provider

tonmar01

Transfer of old saved emails from my old provider

Hi,
had a quick search but couldnt quite see what I was looking for, so apoligies if this has been asked before.
I am an new user to Plusnet, just signed up two days ago and waiting for stuff to transfer and become active.
My current provider is BT and I have quite a few emails that I would like to keep for reference etc. does anyone know if there is a way to either transfer them to my my plusnet account so I still have access to them or a way of saving them at all?Huh
don't fancy the idea of going into each one and forwarding them onto myself at the new email address.
thanks
13 REPLIES 13
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Transfer of old saved emails from my old provider

Hi, and welcome...
You'll be able to retrieve your BT Inbox onto your PC if you setup your email client for POP3 delivery instead of IMAP. This will mean that the emails will reside on your local machine.  Other solutions will need to be used if you want a copy of your Sent mail as well unfortunately.
Moving ISPs is the ideal opportunity to look at buying yourself a domain name and making use of a 3rd party email provider - No more being tied to ISP email Smiley
Hope the transfer goes smoothly...
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

If you have IMAP access to both accounts in your client, then you can "drag and drop" the e-mails from the BT folder to the Plusnet folder - as you would using your file manager.
Note that it will result in the files going to and from your computer.
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
tonmar01

erm...............No idea Crazy
NedLudd
Grafter

What software are you using to read your emails?
Geoff,
York.
tonmar01

Just PC based BT mail website. Also on my mobile too
NedLudd
Grafter

You are using webmail then?
Geoff,
York.
tonmar01

Bt.com to access my BT mail and the Inbox for plusnet email says webmail at the top. *sorry, this is all gobbledegook to me*
NedLudd
Grafter

I thought it might be!
Now that we know you use webmail and can see your level of expertise (no offence intended), perhaps someone will be able to help you using very simple terminology!  Wink
Geoff,
York.
tonmar01

thanks, I like simple 🐵
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

From your comments, I suspect the "easy" way is going to be difficult - webmail doesn't usually have the facility to do what you want, though you can often set up automatic forwarding of new e-mails.
If you specify your operating system (Windows 7 etc.), there is probably someone who can walk you through setting up a suitable client (live mail?) and 2 IMAP accounts to make the transfer easy - and for future use if you so choose (like webmail, IMAP leaves the messages on the server). However, as I implied, you will use a lot of allowance if you are not on unlimited and/or time if not on a fast connection (you could start the transfer at midnight and leave it running, of course Shocked ).
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
decomplexity
Rising Star

"... forwarding them onto myself at the new email address..."
Hmmm - I was under the impression that PN had withdrawn email services for all new users.
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
tonmar01

Quote from: decomplexity
Hmmm - I was under the impression that PN had withdrawn email services for all new users.

Nope new email address up and running fine
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: decomplexity

Nope, it's just not offered by default during the signup journey. The option is still available, and even if you don't register an email address at signup, you can still activate one later.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵