cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer of emails/domain

trodd

Transfer of emails/domain

Hi

I have a domain hosted by plus net, call it www.myname.com. My email is me@myname.plus.net but I send and receive emails to me@myname.com and all works ok. I now want to point my emails to a different server as plusnet is not able to offer me an increased mailbox size. To do this I have done 2 things:

Add MX and A records here

https://prnt.sc/oci7q5

Changed my email delivery preferences here:

https://prnt.sc/oci8jm

Not sure if I needed to do both of these things but it seemed logical from what I read.

It’s been 12 hours and my emails still aren’t reaching my new provider. Does everything look correct here? Is there anything I’ve missed?

I did (and still do) want to tranfer the domain itself to the new provider but as such I am currently 2 weeks into an infinite loop between Plusnet CS and their “Network operations” team who I can’t speak directly to and who never get back to me

Really appreciate any help here

Nigel

7 REPLIES 7
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Transfer of emails/domain

Thanks for reaching out Nigel.

I'm afraid it's not possible for us to register a domain and not also host it.

This means that while we're registering it you'll need to use our nameservers.

If you can PM us the appropriate account username I'd be happy to look into what's happening regarding the transfer.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Tech Help to eMail

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Gandalf

Are the options on configuring PlusNET register domains different according to account history? I’ve just looked at my registered domain email settings and I see that there is an ‘other’ option. Does this permit pointing to a different NX?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Townman I've just checked one of my accounts I have a domain hosted on and I think I see what you're referring to. 

For as long as I've worked here, I've always been under the impression that we can't change the DNS records of a domain we're registering and based on the OP having attempted this, it's possible that particular functionality in the account may not actually work anymore. Leave this with me though to raise to the appropriate people to investigate further and clarify.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

AFAIK It's true that you can't change the nameservers on a PN registered domain but you can add MX.records.

In theory that would allow use of other mail servers. However many commercial ones  will require you to prove ownership of the domain by creating specific TXT records, something that is not possible on PNs DNS control. Even if you can get past that hurdle then you can't use SPF and DKIM since they also require TXT records. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JW
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 24

Yes, you can specify most DNS records for a domain that's registered through Plusnet, other than changing the name servers themselves or adding TXT records.

Adding new MX records to point email elsewhere is possible, and provided the records are correctly configured can point email to anywhere else in the world. Whether or not the place you're pointing the records then accepts the email for you is a different matter. There's usually different requirements before commercial email providers will accept email for you, quite often this is TXT records. Though there's usually an alternative method using an invalid MX record or similar.

Jon W
 Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@JW Cheers for clarifying, that's good to know. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet