cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Totalise email hacked and password changed

andywat
Dabbler

Totalise email hacked and password changed

This afternoon (I guess based on weird bounce back emails from emails I didn't send landing in my inbox) I had my totalise email address hacked and the password changed. Is there anything I can do to retrieve this email address?

4 REPLIES 4
andywat
Dabbler

Re: Totalise email hacked and password changed

Managed to sort it out logging in via the madasafish.com site, password now changed

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

HI Andy,

Can you be more clear about what you think has happened?

Given that PlusNet email services do not implement SPF records, it is would be all too easy for anyone to send out emails appearing to come from andy@username.plus.com (or whatever) even though they have not.

To do this there is no need to gain access to your email account.  This is called email address spoofing.  SPF is a means of specifying that emails from andy@username.plus.com can only originate from specific SMTP servers.  That said if the spoofer uses the same SMTP server its not overly helpful.

Sadly I would anticipate more spam protection emails in respect of emails you never sent.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

andywat
Dabbler

My account was 'compromised'. Thankfully email security put an autoblock on the account and auto reset my password.

t72bogie
Grafter

the same thing happened to me in the last week on same old totalise mail account.

Very strange....