Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Totalise Email Account Redirect

FIXED
JohnH1
Hooked

Totalise Email Account Redirect

Hi, I have two old totalise.co.uk email accounts and I would like to set-up redirects for both accounts but I only have access to very limited settings options through my old Madasafish account logons and I can't log on to my accounts through the main Plusnet logon page. The totalise.co.uk email accounts are currently our (my wife and I) primary email addresses so very important to us. Can anyone please advise how I go about setting up these redirects? 

5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Totalise Email Account Redirect

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Chat to Email

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi John,

Have you read this - http://www.madasafish.com/support/features/domain_names/additional_mailboxes.shtml

If yes, specifically what is the difficulty you are encountering?

I do not know the MAAF platform email functionality as well as I understand that of Plusnet's, but if they are similar, I suspect that there might be a confusion in terminology and expectations here.  "Forwarding" and "Redirect" are all too often used interchangeably but they are not the same...

• Forwarding receives the email locally and sends a copy to another address
  • Redirection re-routes the email to another address

The Plusnet platform does not forward and you cannot have an address which is both a mailbox and a redirection.  You need to delete the mailbox on an address and then recreate the address as a redirection.

I guess that you are embarking on migrating away from the MAAF email platform - why make life difficult with redirects (and its hidden associated complications if the receiving environment implements strict SPF sender verification - yes it is very technical)?

A far simple approach is to just leave your email clients set up as they are, add your new email addresses to it.  Depending on what email client you are using, you could make it auto respond to emails still arriving on the Totalise account advising of your new email address and (if desired) have the auto-respond rule move the email to the new mailbox.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JohnH1
Hooked

Hi Townman,

Thank you for your detailed reply. My first problem is that although the MAAF article describes all these option the page only allows very limited options now and does not allow me to make any changes to my email service. I can't find a Plusnet logon that will give me access using my totalise email address and password to mange my account and email settings. Having said that I'm 95% sure that I have logged on to a Plusnet access page to my account in the past but can't for the life of me find it or remember how I accessed it.

I have recently bought a .me.uk domain name and have set up new email addresses as well as a mail hosting service. These will ultimately become our default personal email addresses (wife and self). However, currently the totalise.co.uk email addresses are our primary email addresses and the migration is going to take a while. My plan was to set up redirection of our totalise emails to our new email addresses/hosting service and delete our totalise accounts.

Your suggestion to just leave the totalise accounts in place and gradually migrate is certainly an option although I don't currently have the functionality in totalise to send autoresponses but could look at doing this using OOO in Outlook. I was looking for a neat fix to only have to manage one email account each but this will be my fallback if I can't achieve what I'd like to do 🙂 .

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Fix

Hi John,

The disclosure that you are using Outlook (365 or 2016?) offers the following possibilities...

1. Co-configuring both the existing and new email accounts in the same place
  2. Using Outlook mailbox rules to act on the arrival of new mail into the Totalise account
    1. auto respond with a template email address
    2. move the mail item to a folder in the new mailbox
    3. mark the email as having been auto-responded to

The only small limitation here is that this a client side rules processor, so these are only going to trigger when the PC reads the mailbox thus it will not run the rules if you are away and the PC is switched off.

If your new provider runs an Exchange server, then it should be possible to have that service act as a client to the Totalise mailbox - that is something to discuss with your new provider.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JohnH1
Hooked

Hi Townman,

Thank you very much for your reply which will resolve my issue and leave the totalise accounts active.

I have set up the rules in Outlook and it appears to be working well.

Many thanks and regards,.....John.