cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too many rcpts in time period from this IP.

gmorris59
Grafter

Too many rcpts in time period from this IP.

I am abroad and when I try and send emails - after sending a few successfully I get this message. I have tried changing from port 25 to 587 as per two other forum comments but without success. Any suggestions as I need to send work emails

10 REPLIES 10
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Too many rcpts in time period from this IP.

You'd be better off using Webmail or a local relay server. There are some pretty aggressive restrictions in place on international access. Having said that, I'd expect you to be able to send to more than a handful of recipients each hour.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

gmorris59
Grafter

So that means I need a different support for every country I work in? This does seem like another major limitation of PN. Webmail is really not an option as does tie in with mail client on PC. Alternatives?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you use IMAP on your PC rather than POP3 all emails you send, receive, delete or move between folders using webmail will sync on your PC. Is that not usable?

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@jelv,

Use of IMAP is a very sensible option as it allows a lot of flexibility to use the same email box across a number of devices ... PC, Smart Phone, Tablet and if essential WebMail as well..

PlusNet's SMTP server has varying degrees of abuse protection - one of which is restrictions on the submission rate from non-UK IPs even though the user is authenticated.  I would expect all ISPs to have implemented similar restrictions.

The big question here is how many emails (I guess its actually addressees) is the user trying to send to per hour?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gmorris59
Grafter

I can only send one email - to 6 recipients before I can no longer send emails. Not sure how long it remains blocked for but 6 emails is not exactly a lot. I assume that someone is having a joke with six emails? I have used for years Zen and I have never had any problems at all. Never!!! Now I am also receiving notification that zip files sent to me as attachments are being blocked. The sender gets back an email about Delivery Status Notification. delivery to the following recipients failed ... There were previous issues with PN with SPF (see other threads) and emails being blocked. Can someone in authority please review the issue and come up with a working system.

gmorris59
Grafter

a) can anyone tell me how many emails can be sent per day / hour?

b) Using webmail will not working when trying to reply to emails as the email is no longer present on the server?

This is really frustrating

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It would still be on the server if you changed the email client on your other PC, preferably to IMAP from POP3 which from the sound of it you are using at present or set the POP3 option to leave the messages on the server.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
gmorris59
Grafter

I am very appreciative of your comments but I do not want to leave my emails on the server - what I would like to know is a) how many emails per day ? b) Can this limitation be disabled.

If neither of the above, what is a better way to have a reliable mail service. P/N just seems so unreliable. Emails not being sent, Emails not being received etc 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Let's be clear here - this issue specifically relates to sending emails via an off-shore IP address - it is not a general email service reliability issue.  Indeed one could suggest that such measures can enhance reliability by mitigate the risk of transmitting SPAM and consequential risks of black listing of PN's MTAs which would impact everyone, as is happening with another mail provider I use.

However, what I find a bit perplexing is why an authenticated connection to the SMTP server is behaving in this way?  It should not matter where the connection is coming from - the access is authenticated! Huh

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gmorris59
Grafter

I agree that the authentication should be sufficient. If it is sufficient from a UK location why it is not sufficient from abroad? No one from P/N has commented on the number of emails per day and I can find nothing in any contract.