Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Thunderbird

oops didn't mean to put the actual name can we delete the post

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Click the Post options drop down menu to the right of the post and select Edit Reply.. Then you can change the text and post it again.

David
spraxyt
Resting Legend

If Opera Mail meets your needs continuing with it seems a good choice. I've never tried that program, Smiley

You could be right that all the iterations with Thunderbird have led to its data files becoming corrupted. These are kept in profiles and deliberately made difficult to delete to avoid users inadvertently losing precious messages during a program reinstall. A tick box option to remove data is provided when accounts are removed/deleted.

If data file corruption is suspected creating a new profile is usually suggested. This is done by closing down Thunderbird then running thunderbird.exe -P at a command prompt to open Profile Manager; then click a create button and follow instructions. There is guidance on doing this in Mozilla Knowledge Base articles. You could try this if you are up to continuing the challenge.

David
theoldandgrey
Rising Star

I really think you have spent enough time on my problem.  I am happy to stay with Opera Mail now it is up and running ok with 6 email addresses.  It is more like WLM than Thunderbird and I am sure I will cope with its little quirks!!

Yes I will accept the challenge of getting Thunderbird to work in a few days time when I have caught up with the housework!!!  I will not bother you again and will sink or swim.  However I may just put a little post up if I conquer it in the near future.

Thanks for all your help, I have really appreciated the support.Grin

spraxyt
Resting Legend

We did achieve something in that in your opening post you mentioned Opera Mail didn't work either. So that bridge was crossed. Grin

A few days off from the challenge could be beneficial. If a bit of help would assist with taking the Thunderbird problem forward please feel free to ask. Mozilla KB pages on the Internet can be tricky to follow since they lump Sea Monkey, Firefox and Thunderbird together, and they can be a bit technical too.

Hopefully it will just "work" next time you try. Laugh

David
theoldandgrey
Rising Star

I just can't let it go!

Eventually managed to change my profile, not without some difficulty.  Then reloaded Thunderbird but just same probs.  I then decided to let it just do its own thing and of course it came up with Incoming Server .greenbee.net.  Anyway it downloaded all the right messages. Hurray.  I then sent one from Opera and that came through ok.  I then sent one from TB but failure.  The outgoing server was smtp.greenbee.net so I changed that to relay.plus.net and BINGO!  I am up and running and so far all is well.  What a marathon.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Gosh, I hadn't expected to be reading that for a while. Well done for persisting and I'm delighted that you finally got there. Thumbs_Up

David
theoldandgrey
Rising Star

If you ever have that challenge again you know the answer!  Thanks for all your support you gave me the incentive to continešŸ‘µ

theoldandgrey
Rising Star

Too good to last!!!!!  TB worked for 3 days then overnight dropped off again and I can't send, keeps asking for relaplus.net new p/w.. Will not accept it.

Opera Mail will  ot wor, saying the server has a poor reputation. so I am back to 

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Does deleting that smtp username and password from the Thunderbird password store, so it gets recreated fix the problem?

This involves clicking the Thunderbird 3-lines hamburger menu, pointing to Options, then selecting Options on the cascading menu. Select the Security tab and saved passowrds. I'd be inclined to choose show passwords, then look down the list and remove the relevant relay.plus.net line(s).

David
theoldandgrey
Rising Star

Hi Thanks

Yes it did do the trick so I am back up and running.  Why isn't everything straightforward?  It would make life so much easier.  It all seems trial and error at present.