Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbird

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Re: Thunderbird

@spraxyt

If everything else fails do you think it worth @theoldandgrey trying sending on Port 25 rather than 587?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

theoldandgrey
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Tried that Baldrick1 as a quick one, but no go I'm afraid.

Maybe have to try your original suggestion but don't fancy it as I am sure to make a mess of it - the way things have been going..

All these years I have never had problems with emails, or if there has been something even I could sort it. I am despairing as you can guess

Thanks for help

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

Don't despair or give up yet. I find that this sort of problem is a learning opportunity and keeps my ancient brain ticking over.

Try my earlier suggestion, you can't hurt anything and who knows?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@theoldandgrey Please don't despair, these things are sent to keep us alert. Grin

Thanks for attaching the SMTP image, that looks fine to me. Though the rejection is with sending I don't think it is related to the server settings. It's with the address the message should be going to. This is xxxxx@greenbee.net and you had a lot of trouble with that when trying to do the relay test. I think one of the places where that has been entered contains a misspelling, or perhaps a leading or trailing space (which by its nature a casual glance will not spot).

Could you try emptying those fields completely by backspacing to the beginning, then backspace again - let the computer bleep if it wants to. Then click again with the pointer mid way along the field and backspace once again for good measure. (Sorry if this sounds childish but I've encountered this problem myself.)

Then try entering the address in each field again.

David
theoldandgrey
Rising Star

I don't believe it. It is now sending ok and it appears in PN wemail -hurray. However it is not being received in Thunderbird now. I've received nothing there since 1.30 and goodness have I sent myself lots of test messages and there has also been other incoming mail.  I have triple checked the entries again. I have sent and received something in webmail but again not in TB.  

spraxyt
Resting Legend

A few posts ago you mentioned sending and receiving from your greenbee address worked OK on your Samsung tablet; is that set up to receive messages using POP3 or IMAP? If it's POP3 are the messages Thunderbird can't find being downloaded to the tablet then immdeiately deleted from the server?

David
theoldandgrey
Rising Star

No everything is Never Delete

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Do all the greenbee messages, including those sent from Thunderbird and within webmail appear on your tablet?

Just wondering if there is confusion between your Plusnet xxxxx default account and your greenbee one.

David
theoldandgrey
Rising Star

I think you could be right about the confusion.  I am not the only one confused.  As I said yesterday everything was going ok on my tablet, but today  there are things on my webmail that haven't appeared on the tablet, in fact only gmails have arrived.  Added to that Thunderbird is not working at all and I thought I'd try Opera mail but nothing there either.  Do you think it would make life easier if, after all this time, I ditch my greenbee address and use a plusnet one?  I don't want to use gmail for my main accounts.  I hate to be beaten but you have worked so hard on my behalf that I am feeling guilty about it all.

theoldandgrey
Rising Star

Sorry, tablet ok so that panic over

spraxyt
Resting Legend

To refresh my memory of the Thunderbird account set-up process I've just worked through it on a new account. I hate to say this but It worked first time. Tongue

However on the second set-up screen I came across behaviour that could lead to what you are describing. This would mean you are actually viewing content of the Plusnet xxxxx mailbox rather than the xxxxx@greenbee.net one.

To check this display Account Settings. (I usually do this by clicking the bold account name in the left-hand pane, then click View settings for this account.) Your name and greenbee email address should show on the opening page.

Now select Server Settings. Server Name mail.plus.net and Port 110 should show at the top. Below that does Username show as just xxxxx? If it does - bingo - you'll be seeing the content of your Plusnet default account.

If it is, replace it with xxxxx@greenbee.net then click OK.

I would be inclined to close Thunderbird now then reopen it and hopefully greenbee messages will (eventually) appear.

If the username was correct all along, it's back to the drawing board.

David
theoldandgrey
Rising Star

Done that  and I am afraid the drawing board calls. I now have only 36 emails which previously were in the xxxxx account. I normally have 200 plus in the xxxxx.greenbee account. I think my pc has vot verh confused and it is not suffering dementia as far as I know

theoldandgrey
Rising Star

Well I have now loade d Opera mail and it is all working!!!! I tried the same settings in TB and it still did  ot work. I thi k it has just got itself so confused that nothing will go right. Unfortunately there does not seem a way to remove every last vestige of TB so I could make a clean start. I think after all this time and your patience it will be sensible of me to opt for Opera.  I hate to be beaten as I rather gather yoh do.you

spraxyt
Resting Legend

In Thunderbird's Server Settings for POP3 accounts there is an option to leave messages on the server with sub options for at most 14 days and until I delete them. All three of these are selected by default. Do you still have them at default setting?

If so messages older than 14 days will probably have been removed from the server but Thunderbird should still list them.

David
theoldandgrey
Rising Star

Oh no, very careful about that.  The xxxxx account are all just Plusnet support emails