Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbird

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Thunderbird

Yes, try both. You might get error responses from the mail server if it doesn't like the usernames/passwords entered but it won't do any harm.

David
theoldandgrey
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Well I've done all that using both ***** and *****@greenbee.net and for both of them I received lots of numbers +OK Bye-bye Connection to host lost.  What is the next step please?  It is all sitting in the command prompt window now.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

OK, that's a good result. Thumbs_Up

You could close that window by typing exit at the prompt, then open another one for checking sending works. However we can continue from the existing prompt to check sending.

For this test enter

telnet relay.plus.net 587

The screen should clear then show a code 220 message at the top. Continue as follows; note that all lines starting with a number are server responses (and I've included a couple of <------ hints which should not be typed).

You might find it easier to write down what needs to be typed since the formatting is tricky.

220 avasout06 smtp relay.plus.net
ehlo relay
250-avasout06 hello [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx], pleased to meet you
250-HELP
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250-SIZE 104857600
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250 OK
mail from: <you@yourdomain>
250 <you@yourdomain> sender ok
rcpt to: <you@yourdomain>
250 <you@yourdomain> recipient ok
data
354 OK
to: you@yourdomain
date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 16:21:00 +0000
subject: From shell
      <------- press enter to get an empty line here
This is a test
sent from the shell
.    <------- this is a full stop on a line by itself
250 xxUue3B5Py3jixxWKeUn9P mail accepted for delivery
quit
221 avasout06 smtp closing connection

Connection to host lost.

Successful completion of this step should result in a message being sent to the address you entered. If this works we have all the values that need to be entered to create Thunderbird accounts (and we know they work).

David
theoldandgrey
Rising Star

Well I've tried that and I get as far as 

mail from: <you@yourdomain> 250 <you@yourdomain> sender ok rcpt to: <you@yourdomain>

I then get 550 email address recipient rejected - relay denied

Any ideas on that one?

spraxyt
Resting Legend

In your original post I think you reported difficulties with sending so this might well be connected. The error implies your greenbee address does not exist. If you typed

rcpt to: <xxxxx@greenbee.net>

when you tried that, try again with

rcpt to: <yyyyyy@xxxxx.plus.com>

where this is your Plusnet email address and see if that works.

David
theoldandgrey
Rising Star

Gets stranger and stranger - I can receive and send emails with the greenbee address on my samsung tablet, no problem at all!!

I tried your suggestion but do not really know if I have a plus net address.  I put in the same before the @ and then after, before the dot..  xxxxx@xxxxx.plus.net. 

Needless to say this came up with an error message :  recipient rejected - domain has no delivery address (DNS MX or A record)  I hope it means something to you!

spraxyt
Resting Legend

@theoldandgrey wrote:

@I tried your suggestion but do not really know if I have a plus net address.  I put in the same before the @ and then after, before the dot..  xxxxx@xxxxx.plus.net. 

The email address there should end in .com not .net.

You previously mentioned Plusnet sending your bills to a Plusnet address as well as your greenbee one. Do the Plusnet address ones go to postmaster@xxxxx.plus.com? That should serve for the rcpt to: header entry.

David
theoldandgrey
Rising Star

Hurray - that worked.  The email went to the xxxxx not the xxxxx@greenbee.net which obviously isn't where 99.9% of my emails go, but are we on the right lines now and where do I go from here?

Thanks for your patience

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Yes, arriving at your xxxxx address is correct since that is where the rcpt to: header directed it.

What we need to find out now is why rcpt to: <xxxxx@greenbee.net> was not accepted. Was there perhaps a misspelling when that was entered? Or did you mistype and backspace to correct the entry? Doing the latter makes it visually OK but the computer would see the raw string with backspace and not be happy.

Otherwise, earlier you found that you could connect to that mailbox to collect mail, so the mailbox must exist. When Plusnet send your bills to it do they send them to xxxxx@greenbee.net or something different?

David
theoldandgrey
Rising Star

Hi   Last question first.  When PN send bills they go to both my xxxxx and xxxxx@greenbee.net.

Secondly I  had no luck re-doing the rcpt to:xxxxxgreenbee.net  recipient rejected - relay denied.

I'll leave that with you whilst I'm off to bed!

spraxyt
Resting Legend

What you typed there lacks an @ between xxxxx and greenbee. Was that just a typo when posting or was it missed in the test?

I think something must be amiss with your entry since if I try entering the header it works. Huh

220 avasout06 smtp relay.plus.net
ehlo relay
250-avasout06 hello [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx], pleased to meet you
250-HELP
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250-SIZE 104857600
250-PIPELINING
250-8BITMIME
250 OK
mail from: <yyyyyy@myaccount.plus.com>
250 <yyyyyy@myaccount.plus.com> sender ok
rcpt to: <xxxxx@greenbee.net>
250 <xxxxx@greenbee.net> recipient ok
quit
221 avasout06 smtp closing connection

Note that I actually entered xxxxx since I don't know what it represents. It doesn't matter at this stage since the server only checks the part after the @. It would bounce on receipt if the receiving server didn't recognise the name.

David
theoldandgrey
Rising Star

Success!

Don't know what I was doing incorrectly but as you say the formatting is tricky - sorry to have taken so long to sort.

What is the next step please

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Can I suggest a possibly simpler approach. I use this with Outlook 2010 and from my reading here http://kb.mozillazine.org/Multiple_identities_per_e-mail_account can be done with Thunderbird, although I freely admit that I have not tried it.

What you do is set up a second identity on the Plusnet account with the Greenbee email address. If it works the same way as the MS version then when you send a new email there is a drop down list giving either Plusnet or Greenbee as the send address. Regardless of which is selected the email is sent via the Plusnet account. Recipients of a Greenbee email will not be aware (unless of course they analyse the header) that it was sent through the Plusnet account. If the receipient replies then this will be sent to Greenbee but we have already confirmed that these are received by Plusnet OK.

Looking at the referenced document you simply click on Account Settings, choose the Plusnet Account, click Manage Identities, click Add then include the Greenbee details.

Worth a try?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

spraxyt
Resting Legend

@theoldandgrey That's good news. Thumbs_Up

You could try what @Baldrick1 suggested but I don't think that is necessary. Using telnet you've shown that receiving and sending messages works with both your Plusnet account and xxxxx@greenbee.net addresses. You haven't tried sending with authentication, which could be done but would require both username and password to be Base64 encoded (note *not* encrypted). I think that is a complication too far, at least for now.

I can assure you that given correct settings Thunderbird as an email client works. You've proved that what should be those "correct settings" work, so the earlier problems must have been with entering them. I suggest you now have another go with Thunderbird and enter exactly the information you used with telnet. Don't be afraid to over-type any settings that Thunderbird tries to guess, and gets wrong (that will be most of them). You need to set Security (SSL/TLS) to none with password transmitted insecurely and confirm you really do want to do this when presented with the red skull and crossbones screen.

Make sure the port numbers are set to 110 (incoming) and 587 (outgoing) properly. For outgoing I suggest you don't tick needs authentication for the moment. You've proved it works without that.

Give it a try. Angel

David
theoldandgrey
Rising Star

I must be your worst client!  I still can't get it to work, after 3 hours or so!

I get this error message:  An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:
<xxxxx@greenbee.net> recipient rejected - relay denied.
Please check the message recipient "xxxxx@greenbee.net" and try again.I am attaching filesof the set up pages which may show where my error lies.  Trouble is I am probably making the same error each time having spent so long on it.