Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbird

theoldandgrey
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thunderbird

I have spent many hours tring to set up Thunderbird, Oh for WLM it was so simple but got lost when new hard drive was fitted anyway should not be using it now. My problem seems to be because I have a greenbee address with a Plusnet account. I seem to have tried all combination of settings. Unfortunately Plusnet do not help when using email clients but I should imagine few use webmail on a daily basis as it is sooooo slow. Has anyone discovered the right settings under these circumstances. I've tried Opera mail too but same problem . I do want to have unified inbox for about 6 accounts so this limits availability of free programs.

Any help welcome please

55 REPLIES 55
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Thunderbird

If you had WLM, are you confident that you could configure that? The settings values for Thunderbird should be identical.

In particular are you trying to use POP3 or IMAP for incoming messages, and what server addresses and ports are you using? Also what server addresses do you have for outgoing messages using SMTP?

The login information should be the same as works for logging into webmail.

David
theoldandgrey
Rising Star

Thanks for supplying some help but I am still having problems.

In the past I have set up WLM numerous time with no problems whatsoever.

Currently I am trying to set up both my greenbee POP3 and gmail IMAP accounts.

I seem to be able to receive but not send.

I have used the port 110  and 25 for my POP3 

outgoing server address is relay.plus.net for POP3 

Authentication for POP3 Incoming is Connection security - None  Authentication P/W transmitted insecurely

Outgoing is connection security None  Authentication is None

My gmail account:is IMAP

Incoming Port 143  imap.gmail.com SSL - None

Outgoing  Port Aito  smtp.gmail.com   SSL None  Authentication autodetect

Then I do a test and I get error Thunderbird failed to find settings for your account

Does that info help?  Many thanks.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

If you're sending from a non Plusnet account then SMTP authentication needs to be set to 'yes '. Your situation is slightly different but if Greenbee had the same requirement...  At least it's worth a try to see if it will work.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

theoldandgrey
Rising Star

Yes it does seem to be the Greenbee element that is causing the problem.  I have not had any trouble since changing to PN and keeping the original address.  However.....

Thanks for the suggestion and after I had done it I thought success BUT it only sent the email as far as the Outbox, not really what we wanted.

Any other suggestions welcome

spraxyt
Resting Legend

To simplify matters I suggest setting up just the Greenbee account first. Get that working then try adding Gmail later; then you know any problems are associated with the latter.

You mentioned receiving mail worked; you didn't mention the server name which went with POP3 and port 110; is that mail.johnlewisbroadband.com?

Am I right in thinking that for email purposes this now has the status of a free email account so you can't send email using its relay? However you have a paid for Plusnet broadband connection which allows sending via relay.plus.net? Have you enabled email (set up a default mailbox) in Manage My Mail in your Plusnet account Member Centre? Until that is done I don't think sending will work.

Once enabled sending emails using relay.plus.net with Port 587 (recommended) or Port 25, no SSL/TLS, and without authentication should work when you are connected to your Plusnet connection.

Authentication for use when *not* on a Plusnet connection would need to be done using your Plusnet credentials, but I suggest getting non-authenticated working first.

David
theoldandgrey
Rising Star

This gets worse and worse I'm afraid.  I was originally able to send emails on the greenbee POP3 account to myself, now that does not work.  I thought I would uninstall Thunderbird completely and do a clean install which might have helped but Thunderbird seems to retain a lot of data so as soon as I try again it shows all my emails which are on the plusnet server.  That therefore does not seem like a good idea.

I was told by Plusnet that I actually had a Plusnet account but was able to retain the greenbee email address.  After all these years I am beginning to regret the decision.  What annoys me is that prior to having the new hard drive last month I could use Thunderbird with no problems.  Windows 10 update has caused no end of problems for me including having the new hard drive.  Ugh!

I also wonder if the fact that my User Name for the plusnet account which is ***** but the email account is those same 5 letters@greenbee.net.  It is hard to know which to use to get the emails showing.  the first just shows 30 emails from Plusnet and the second should show 150+ from all and sundry but does not.  I must be confusing you too!

Thanks for your patience

Baldrick1

If you (or others) send an email to your greenbee address does it end up in your Plusnet web mail?

To send emails use your Plusnet email account send details but include your greenbee address in the email header ‘from ‘ field.I don’t use Thunderbird so don’t have details how to set this up but use this methodology with Outlook 2010..

Moderator and Customer

theoldandgrey
Rising Star

Yes it does. I also have an additional greenbee address that  also appears in webmail

spraxyt
Resting Legend

I think part of the problem here is that the questions asked and answers given don't necessarily relate to each other. However mentioning your email address was helpful - I've confirmed that has a DNS MX (mail exchanger) record which will direct incoming messages to the Plusnet spam filter appliances. From there they will be delivered to a mail box, but it isn't clear to me where that is. This is the answer to my question

@spraxyt wrote:

You mentioned receiving mail worked; you didn't mention the server name which went with POP3 and port 110; is that mail.johnlewisbroadband.com?

Having established that I suggest we progress by removing Thunderbird from the loop by using telnet at a command prompt to connect to the mail server and enter POP3 commands I will specify in another post. By default telnet is not enabled on Windows 10, so the first step is turn it on.

In the task bar search box type Turn Windows features on or off (when you reach the second word it is likely the option will pop up as best match). Click that match to open a settings window similar to that in the image below..

Scroll down to reach the Telnet Client line

W10Features.png

Ensure the check box is ticked and click OK.

Once that has been completed I'll follow up with the next steps.

David
theoldandgrey
Rising Star

Thanks so much. I think part of the problem is that I am in my mid eighties and whilst I have coped with everything thrown at me over the last 20 odd years this has just got me so confused. No I am not a dementia sufferer and hope I never shall be. 

The server name is mail.plus.net as advised by PN as it appears I have a PN account but with a greenbee address.

I will do the remaining advkce shortly

theoldandgrey
Rising Star

Hi I've turned Telnet on as asked

Thanks

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Don't worry about advancing years, you can give me a few, but not that many. Smiley

Now that telnet is available we can soon check POP3 logon. You will need to know your email login (user) name and its password.

First open a Command Prompt window by typing command prompt in the taskbar search window, When Command Prompt appears as the Best match, click to select it. A new window should open which looks like

W10CmdPrompt.png

At the prompt in that window type

telnet mail.plus.net 110

The window should now clear replaced with +OK Hello there. on the top line. That means you are connected to the mail server. Continue by entering the USER, PASS,  STAT, LIST and QUIT lines shown in the following frame. Clearly I'm expecting you to replace youremailusername and youremailpassword with your own values. (If it's easier those command words can be entered using lowercase letters.) The +OK and numerical value lines are responses from the mail server.

+OK Hello there.
USER youremailusername
+OK Password required.
PASS youremailpassword
+OK logged in.
STAT
+OK 48 307343
LIST
+OK POP3 clients that break here, they violate STD53.
1 6657
2 3839
3 3839
4 3839
5 3839
6 2433
(more lines)
QUIT
+OK Bye-bye.

Connection to host lost.

If this succeeds you've confirmed the settings you need for setting up your email client. 

Give it a try. Similar for sending will follow but that one is a little trickier with formatting.

David
theoldandgrey
Rising Star

I think this is where it gets tricky. A pparently I have two ema il logins according to PN.  I have ***** which appears to only deal with emails direct from PN such as 'important  info' and when my dd is  due to be taken.  The other *****@greenbee net dals wth all other mail, plus anything which is on the *****account.

which of these these is the user name  I should be using on the +OK?

I feel such a wimp

Baldrick1

Why not try both?

Moderator and Customer