Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbird not responding and freezing

stathe
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thunderbird not responding and freezing

I  Have Thunderbird for my E mail and it says  " not responding" when I try to read, then tends to freeze, I read that this may be McAfee fault. This has only now become a problem,  how can I solve this, and where do I find  Tools,  addons and extensions  ,is it  in Thunderbird or windows 7  Thank you
18 REPLIES 18
HalfShaft
Dabbler

Re: Thunderbird not responding and freezing

In the case I would lose McAfee.  For the last few years running PC Pro magazines annual anti-virus group tests rates AVG and Avast free editions higher than McAfee.
stathe
Rising Star

Mc afffee is part of Plusnet protect for which I presume I pay in the package, how do I switch it off or can Plusnet advise which part and how ?? Thanks
thejudge
Rising Star

If you have add-ons in Tbird, click on Help > Restart with addons disabled and see if the problem is still there.
If it isn't, then close & re-open Tbird, then try disabling addons one by one until the problem comes back.
If this doesn't work either, try disabling McAfee (if this is possible, and bearing in mind the potential risk) and then see.
stathe
Rising Star

McAfee is part of my Plusnet package, and presume is paid for in my subscription, so who is now at fault because it no longer works with Thunderbird, should I use something else for
E mail, any sugestions
hound
Dabbler

I too, am having this problem with Thunderbird. It takes a minute to open an email, and a long time to delete an email.
The McAffee forums say to disable real time scanning of email attachments; which does indeed sort the problem.
However, how safe is this?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

As long as you take care disabling real-time scanning of email attachments is not unduly risky. If the attachment is later opened scan-on-open file scanning should detect the virus.
McAfee may fix the problem in time.
David
stathe
Rising Star

How do I do that
spraxyt
Resting Legend

If the attachment is double-clicked to open it in whatever application handles files with that extension anti-virus programs will scan the file (if it is executable) to ensure it is safe.
David
stathe
Rising Star

How do I disable  McAfee to make Thunderbird work properly bearing in mind it is part of my Plusnet  pack
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I assume scanning options are configurable on the McAfee control panel. Sorry, can't be more specific since, even though McAfee is available free on my account, I don't have it installed
David
stathe
Rising Star

Not getting very far with this as seem unable to get to disable MacAfee
hound
Dabbler

Open McAffee. Click Schedule and Run Scans. Click Real Time Scanning, Settings, Unclick Email attachments, and press Apply.
That should do it.
According to spraxyt, this does not compromise safety. I bow to his greater knowledge.
stathe
Rising Star

Thank you but i seem unable to have any control over Mac afee except reschedule the scans, as it is part of the plusnet package and called Security Scan Plus,
hound
Dabbler

Oh!  I have the McAffee that comes with the Plusnet subscription. On my desktop I have two McAffee icons, one called McAffee Security Scan Plus,, and the second called Plusnet Protect
  (  "C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe" /desktopicon /platui    ) . It is via this second one that I get to the wanted menus.
I'm just assuming they both appeared on the desktop when I installed it. the second link is also present in the tray at the bottom right of the screen.
Good luck!