cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbird - just how do I access email via my iOS mobile?

rogermhunt
Grafter

Thunderbird - just how do I access email via my iOS mobile?

To cut a long story short, I've had to ditch Outlook Live after many years after it stopped being able to receive emails from the Plusnet server. No idea what happened but it must have become corrupt and in spite of trying, it hasn't been fixed.

After getting support on this from Plusnet and a number of other weird email issues I've gone ahead and installed Thunderbird on my desktop PC and it works an absolute treat!

However, having always in the past been able to access my emails using Outlook Live on my iOS mobile (and synched with my desktop), I just can't now figure how to see my emails on my iphone now that I've switched to Thunderbird on my Desktop.

I'd be grateful to find out what I need on my iphone to be able to manage my emails such that it syncs with what's happening on my Desktop . . . assuming that's possible.

Any support gratefully received.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Thunderbird - just how do I access email via my iOS mobile?

Hi Roger, I've put this on your support ticket this earlier this evening, but if you've setup your emails on Thunderbird as IMAP and you set it up as this on your iPhone too, they should both be sync'd together through our server. 

Do you have the iOS mail app installed? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
rogermhunt
Grafter

Many thanks for your response.

I actually set it up on my Desktop as POP3 and it's working well.

I was a little confused as regards my phone and how Mail was working on there. I've now deleted my Outlook Live email account and have set up my plusnet email address on the iOS mail app. I've run various create/send/receive tests and all seems to be working well.

The only thing I'm still unsure of is synching e.g. if I delet an email from my Inbox on my phone, should it delete it also from the Thunderbird system on my desktop ?

Either way, I'm pretty happy so far and have hopefully got a system in place that works and has replaced my corrupt Outlook LIve system.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to me @rogermhunt

Gandalf and Anoush are actually one and the same, I chose the nickname "Gandalf" when setting up my forum account. Cheesy

Taken from our email help article Here, these are the differences between IMAP and POP3

IMAP

1. Emails stay on the Plusnet system even after you've checked them on your computer
  2. Whatever you do with your emails happens on all the email applications and devices you're using
  3. You'll need to be connected to the Internet whenever you want to check your emails
  4. Best if you're using different devices for your emails, like an iPad or smartphone

POP

1. Emails stay on the Plusnet system until you check them on your computer
  2. Then your emails move from the Plusnet system to your computer
  3. They won't be on the Plusnet system anymore
  4. Your emails stay on your computer so you can read them even if you aren't connected to the Internet

Fingers crossed though the way you've got it working will be good for you but let me know if you need any further help Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet