cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbird - copy to sent folder issues

BrianRDW

Thunderbird - copy to sent folder issues

We have just moved from TalkTalk to Plusnet.

My wife accesses her email using Thunderbird under Win10Pro.

I have added an account for her Plusnet email account.

Emails can be sent and received ok, but when sending with "Place copy in sent folders on" TB hangs (the email is sent ok).

If I disable this option, email sent with no problems apart from not having a copy of it!

I have read other reports on this TB problem, but have not found a viable solution.

Settings are shown in attached screen shot.

Also TB complains that there is no encryption on password transmission

Regards

Brian

7 REPLIES 7
BrianRDW

Re: Thunderbird - copy to sent folder issues

I have found a solution - select other.

See attached screen shot

Brian

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@BrianRDW Yes, I've had to do that on Thunderbird, it appears that Thunderbirds default context for the Sent folder is different to the Plusnet Imap one. Selecting it manually seems to get the correct context.

Although not widely publised, you can use SSL with the Plusnet email servers. Use port 993 for IMAP and port 465 for SMTP. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

topgallant

Can I be right that Plusnet don't have SSL enabled on your email servers..  in 2020 ! ? ?
That needs fixing !

My customer's Plusnet email account had a problem.
Plusnet server didn't allow Thunderbird to save email to the 'Sent' folder - nor to the drafts folder.
I created new folders in webmail & redirected Thunderbird to save to those.

Right-Click on account / Settings / Copies & Folders

That worked perfectly.
I suspect that the server is set up with wrong unix file permissions on those folders. -

It would be good to check if Plusnet would check that - it's an easy fix if so.

Also the webmail interface is appallingly slow - surely a server upgrade would be in order.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Can I be right that Plusnet don't have SSL enabled on your email servers..  in 2020 ! ? ?

SSL is enabled , see my previous post

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@topgallant 

A warm welcome to the forums.

As someone new around this space, you might not be aware of the wealth of information in the forums which have answers for your "observations".

1. Plusnet does have SSL, as mentioned by @MisterW in the post a week before yours.  I would though add that SMTP can also be (should be?) configured on port 587 with STARTTLS.  The use of STARTTLS is open to debate … but if one wanted to debate that point, one would also need to note that the use of port 465 for SMTP is deprecated.
  2. It is not Plusnet not allowing Thunderbird to save files, it is Thunderbird not finding and adopting the existing sent items folder name.  Most quality clients recognise that different environments (often dependent on which IMAP client first accesses a mailbox) might use "sent" or "sent items" as the folder name for copies of sent emails.  WIn10 mail does not play nicely in this space … looks like TB also does not. Similarly some clients seem to require that a root folder be specified to locate the standard folders.
  3. Slow webmail is a Round Cube bug related to mail item sort sequence.  There is a mitigation topic fixed at the top of this board.

topgallant

Thank you Townman - that was very comprehensive & knowledgeable - I must learn not to shoot from the hip.

Also I'm not sure where to look when you say there is  "a mitigation topic fixed at the top of this board" - is there a link somewhere  ?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254