cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbird advice

randpwar
Grafter

Thunderbird advice

I run a website for a local sports association and need to set up a method of sending the same email to 50 or so people without having to laboriously type that many addresses each time. Webmail doesn’t do it. I’ve seen that some Plusnet customers use Thunderbird and wondered if they could offer me some advice:
1, Can I use it on a Windows Vista pc via IE?
2, Once installed, can I set up a distribution list whereby I type the list of addresses mentioned above once to set it up and then be able to use it without having to re-type the list?
3, Can I ‘hide’ the other 49 addresses from the recipient
4, Is it reasonably easy to set up and use?
5, I use a Plusnet address for the Association but use a Metronet address for the family which I don’t want to be affected and wish to still access via webmail in the normal way because SWMBO needs to access it from work; is this achievable?
I would greatly appreciate experienced TB users to advise me and also to let me know of any pitfalls / foibles or even tips that help that may not be generally known
Regards
Rob   

4 REPLIES 4
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Thunderbird advice

1 you can install it but you don't access it via IE, it is a standalone mail program not a web browser.
2 you can setup mailing lists easily, add the users once and create a list and add them to it.
3 use bcc rather than cc
4 yes
5 yes
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Hi Rob,
Quote from: randpwar
1, Can I use it on a Windows Vista pc via IE?

It's compatible with Vista yes, not sure what you mean by 'via IE' though? Thunderbird is a self-contained email client and completely separate to Internet Explorer Huh
2, Once installed, can I set up a distribution list whereby I type the list of addresses mentioned above once to set it up and then be able to use it without having to re-type the list?

Yes, you could open a new email composition window, type the distribution list and then save the email as a template.
3, Can I ‘hide’ the other 49 addresses from the recipient

I'd suggest you hid them *all* by using the BCC field.
4, Is it reasonably easy to set up and use?

Yes, you'll find set-up guides here.
5, I use a Plusnet address for the Association but use a Metronet address for the family which I don’t want to be affected and wish to still access via webmail in the normal way because SWMBO needs to access it from work; is this achievable?

Whether you have Thunderbird installed and configured or not, you'll still be able to access Metronet Webmail.
Edit: Looks like @Hairy Biker beat me to it!

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

randpwar
Grafter

&Hairy Biker and Bob
Many thanks or the advice; I’ll give it a go
Sorry about the IE bit..............I panicked!

Denzil
Grafter

5. It is also easy to add multiple email accounts in Thunderbird and keep the mail in separate folders. I have three accounts set up on mine for different purposes. If you wish, you can set the account up to "leave messages on server", then you will still be able to access them elsewhere via webmail or another mail client.