cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderbird 3 set up problem

comps
Dabbler

Thunderbird 3 set up problem

I want to switch from Outlook Express, which is working normally, to Thunderbird.  I can send email out through my account but can't receive it - or more significantly perhaps - Thunderbird is reporting "no mail to download" despite my having sent a test message from another account.  I have checked and double-checked the settings are exactly as per the setup guidance provided on the PN site.  Also I can't read any webmail on squirellmail.  I can log in to squirellmail and would have expected to find the same test email appearing in that inbox but nothing.  Any suggestions?
Ed
10 REPLIES 10
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Thunderbird 3 set up problem

Have you already viewed the email with Outlook express ? that will likely have downloaded and deleted the mail from PlusNet's servers thus you won't see it with webmail or Thunderbird. Try sending another test and checking first with webmail.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Have you looked in the 'Spam' folder on Webmail?  I think someone else was reporting that messages sent via (IIRC) Hotmail were being caught by the Plusnet spam filters. Just a thought.
Chris
comps
Dabbler

Yes, avoided that one.  I send a test message, fail to receive it in either T'bird or SquirrelMail, then open Outlook Express and voila!  Although T'bird did try to import the settings automatically from OE when I first installed it, I did find it necessary to make some adjustments to get it to match the precise format described in the support pages.
Also checked for spam - my tests are indeed being sent from a hotmail address but they are neither in squirrelmail inbox or spam folders.  They do come through into OE perfectly well
Could there be a glitch in my account that requires a support ticket to be raised?
Ed
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I can possibly see why you might not see the mail in Thunderbird if the configuration is wrong but can't see why you wouldn't see the mail in webmail.
Is OE perhaps setup to use your default mailbox and you are using Thunderbird / Webmail to access an Additional mailbox ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

comps
Dabbler

I have 3 PN email addresses working in OE, the default and 2 combining other mailboxes on the username+mailbox@username.plus.com style.  I have set up all 3 in Thunderbird but still no sign of incoming email.
I have never used squirrelmail before.  The last time I used webmail was before PN changed the service to squirrelmail.  The old system worked.  The new one allows me to log in because it then comes up with an inbox and all the functionality I would expect to see, and a "log out" link in the top right.  No sign of any incoming email.  The Spam folder did not exist until I used a "subscribe" option to create it.  Then I prompted "get mail" and rechecked both inbox and spam but still nothing.  Weird?
Ed
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

I use T'Bird; in your mail account settings, try connection security is none
&
Authentication is password transmitted insecurely
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: comps
They do come through into OE perfectly well.

OE must get the messages from some mailbox, which must also be accessible by Squirrelmail. You seem to be logging on to a different set of mailboxes using webmail from the ones configured in your OE client. It seems like your test email is going to one of the latter mailboxes, while your Thunderbird is configured to try and collect from the former.
Perhaps raise a ticket and ask if support can see what's going wrong with your Webmail -- I reckon this is the key....
Best wishes
Chris
comps
Dabbler

Resolved!
The old fall-back of rebooting the PC did the trick.  All 3 mailboxes working now in T'bird.
BUT Squirrelmail still not functioning.
Many thanks for your input.
Ed
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi comps,
With regard to squirrelmail, which of your mailboxes are you logging in to (or is this with any mailbox)?
comps
Dabbler

Resolved again!
Thanks for following this up, I hadn't realised that I could drill down to individual mailboxes in Squirrelmail and thought that the primary username account would catch all that came in.  The test email I was looking for was addressed to a subsidiary mailbox.  When I logged in with right credentials I found it working fine.  So I had underestimated the functionality. Mea culpa.
Thanks for your help.
Ed