Thinking of leaving, want to keep Plusnet email address

FIXED
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Re: Thinking of leaving, want to keep Plusnet email address

Hi @Heb,

I've taken a look into this today and I can see that you've spoken to our Support Team regarding this issue. If you wish to refer back to this in the future, I can see that a ticket has been raised on your account here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Heb
Hooked

Hi @TheMightyAJ. Thanks for your response. Changes have been made to my account and am part way there to "mail only". Am still awaiting refund and have added to ticket asking for more info on this. 

Regarding the mail only account, I seem able to receive but can't send email (using relay.plus.net) Initally got the response "failed to reach the server" then tried to add password authentication and received the following (MCMailErrorDomain error 1045.).

Are there changes that need to be made to use the mail only account?

Thanks in advance,

Heb

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi Heb,

Thanks for coming back to us.

There aren't any changes that you'd need to make - it should operate as it did before the transition to mail only.

Could you try to send an email via the webmail section of the member centre and let me know if this works?

Best wishes,

Dave

Heb
Hooked

Hi Dave,

Thanks, yes, that worked.  When I tried on my own mail client (MAC Mail) I tried all 3 of my plus.com email addresses (all on the same server). I have been able to send without issue until recently, hence idea the issue was linked to the change of account type.

Any thoughts welcome,

Heb

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@Heb I think the problem could be that your "mail only" account is the older flavour which only supported access to incoming messages, not sending using relay.plus.net (your new ISPs smtp/relay server had to be used instead).

I'm guessing your account needs changing to a "paid for email" account which does permit use of relay.plus.net for sending. From 1st September the charge for these accounts became zero (ie free).. A staff member needs to check this and make the change. Thumbs_Up

David
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Heb, firstly a belated welcome to our community forums.

From what I can see your account is on the correct type(Plusnet Mail) for sending mail using relay.plus.net, which used to cost £1.06 per month but is now free of charge. Could you paste a few screenshots(Obscuring any personal information) showing the settings you're using on your Mac Mail client?

If the settings all look OK, we can raise this with our infrastructure operation engineers for further investigation.

Also, I've updated ticket 182365228 regarding your refund. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Heb
Hooked

Hi Gandalf,

Obviously I've tried a couple of changes but have now just put everything back to how it was when I was last able to send. This is the error message.

The server response was: <*******************@mac.com> recipient rejected - relay denied

Hopefully, there'll be some screenshots here. The changes I tried were using port 587. Also, selecting password authentication & entering the account user name/password... that brought up different error (MCMailErrorDomain error 1045.)

Hope that all makes sense.

Heb

Heb
Hooked

Sorry just realised this might be better way of posting the screenshots

plusnet 1.jpg

plusnet 2.jpgplusnet 3.jpg

Heb
Hooked

plusnet 4.jpg

The advanced setting screen for alternative authentication.

It's Mail 8.2

Many thanks for your assistance.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers for this Heb.
In the last two screenshots, could you try ticking the box “Allow insecure authentication” and also enter your mailbox username and password?

[edit]
Essentially with a broadband account you wouldn’t need to do this as the mail client would authenticate automatically via a Plusnet broadband connection, but when you’re not on a Plusnet connection you’ll need to authenticate via your account details to send mail.

I’m (quietly) confident this is the answer.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Heb
Hooked

Okay, will do. Can I just check, I have 3 mailboxes and at the moment they all use the same outgoing server setting, each with an individual incoming server setting.

Am I right in thinking I need to input the user name for each email address, i.e., ******+******,  as for the incoming server? So each would have an individual outgoing server setting. (Obviously I'll just create the one new server setting for now)

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yep, that’s right.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Heb
Hooked

Thank you! All changed & tested Smiley  (and that's no easy task in Mac Mail as I'm sure you know already! :-()

Can I just check how secure the new email account set up is? What are the implications of using "allow insecure authentication" setting?

Heb

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thank you! All changed & tested Smiley  

No problems at all. Smiley

(and that's no easy task in Mac Mail as I'm sure you know already! :-()

Yeah, I've got a Mac myself, though I personally find them easier than using Windows.

Can I just check how secure the new email account set up is? What are the implications of using "allow insecure authentication" setting?

It shouldn't be any different than receiving mail using your account details.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

What if you have a domain name also can you still use that.