Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The sender address was rejected by the server relay.plus.net

tj
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: The sender address was rejected by the server relay.plus.net

BTW Rob, I'm experiencing the problem sending to a variety of email addresses - not just one, like you.
kdiment
Rising Star

I wonder whether the FROM field issue is a red herring. The rejections by the mail.plus.net servers can happen when there is neither mail to collect nor mail to send. Just a routine send/receive operation that is usually configured to take place perhaps every 10 or 15 minutes.
-  Keith
RobDickson
Grafter

Tim, it does seem that you're being fobbed off a little, but, to be fair, it's probably quite common that it is the customer's fault, not PlusNet's. I just don't think that's the case this time.
Keith, I agree that the FROM address probably isn't the problem, but I rarely get the servers rejecting my connection on an "empty" send/receive. Anyway, in this case, the send isn't an "empty" send.
kdiment
Rising Star

Still happening. Routine checks for emails give:
Could not connect to "mail.waitrose.com"  Cause: connection refused(10061)
Twice in the last 15 minutes.
-  Keith
tj
Grafter

Ah, you're issue is definitely different then, Keith... you seem unable to reach the server mail.waitrose.com rather than having your 'from' address rejected, which is what I'm continuing to struggle with.
You might need to raise your own ticket, or start a separate thread, for that one.

Tim
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: kdiment
Still happening. Routine checks for emails give:
Could not connect to "mail.waitrose.com"  Cause: connection refused(10061)
Twice in the last 15 minutes.

As Tim has mentioned Keith, that issue is completely separate to the one being discussed in this thread. Your problem seems to affect the receipt/collection of email rather than failures trying to send messages. You might want to try temporarily disabling any email/Internet security software you have running to see if it happens then, as misconfiguration/corruption of these programs can lead to the kind of problems you're seeing. There's certainly no service-wide issues I'm aware of.
Quote from: tj
In my humble opinion, the people who've looked at my ticket aren't doing very well... though I do appreciate them trying to help.

Sorry about that Tim. I had intended on jumping on the ticket as soon as you raised it however I got distracted! Roll_eyes
I've added my 2p now and am just waiting for one of our engineers to scrape the logs for me.
Quote from: SteveA
The PN email servers are now doing domain checking on the FROM email address which they never did  - they throw 'sender rejected - invalid domain (in reply to MAIL FROM command))'

The Ironports checked for a resolvable domain name too, so this is nothing new (although admittedly there may be some additional checks now).
Quote from: Rob
I've only experienced this problem with emails sent to one particular address, so doubt that it's due to a problem with my FROM email address.

I doubt that too. I've a suspicion I know what the problem is though. I'll take a look at your ticket and get back to you shortly...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

tj
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
In my humble opinion, the people who've looked at my ticket aren't doing very well... though I do appreciate them trying to help.

Sorry about that Tim. I had intended on jumping on the ticket as soon as you raised it however I got distracted! Roll_eyes
I've added my 2p now and am just waiting for one of our engineers to scrape the logs for me.

Thanks Bob. I do appreciate the help I'm getting... Smiley
RobDickson
Grafter

Bob,
Thanks for your help. I've replied to your questions in the "ticket".
I'm sorry if I gave the impression in this thread that the problem is happening all the time. I had problems sending to a particular email address on Wednesday afternoon, but, after a few tries, Outlook Express managed to send it each time. I haven't noticed it happening since then.
Thanks again.
Rob
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks Rob, I've replied.
Having seen some other instances of this throughout today I've sufficient evidence to suspect we've a problem somewhere. We're looking into it and I'll report back regarding any progress we make. It's likely that it'll be early next week though before I've anything conclusive...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

kdiment
Rising Star

Ah, you're issue is definitely different then, Keith... you seem unable to reach the server mail.waitrose.com rather than having your 'from' address rejected, ...

OK, maybe two different issues, but I have seen (on my wife's computer) both the "unable to connect" message when simply checking for emails and the "rejected" message when trying to send, and in each case a retry a few seconds later seems always to work.
My wife and I both use Eudora as our email client and AVG for security over the same broadband connection. She sees these problems and I don't, so I have been trying to think of the ways our emails differ. My computer runs under Vista and hers under Windows 7, but I doubt that can be the cause. Much more likely to be significant, I think, is that although we both send via relay.plus.net, I collect my emails from my own domain hosted by PN while she collects hers from waitrose.com and we of course have different FROM settings.
Hope that helps.
-  Keith
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Keith, I'd be interested in knowing what the specific error is you've seen when sending. We haven't anything related to email collection which is why I'm trying to focus on the outbound/sending aspect of things.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

kdiment
Rising Star

Bob, thanks for your efforts. The intermittent ones are always the hardest. I have just experienced Sod's Law in action, having sent six short emails from my wife's computer to me and hoping that at least one would give the "rejected" error. Of course, all six were sent from her machine and received on mine shortly afterwards with absolutely no problem at all.
Next time we see the problem I hope I will be able to note relevant details, and let you know.
-  Keith
RobDickson
Grafter

Bob, thanks for your help. I'm glad you think you know what the problem is.
itsme
Grafter

Bob
I have seen the same problem but for me it's not a client but a server that's sending the emails
Sat, 05 Nov 2011 12:40:34 -> Success: Action=[SMTP Transfer], Details=[Domain=hotmail.co.uk, Host=relay.plus.net:25, IP=212.159.9.107: Connection accepted.]
Sat, 05 Nov 2011 12:40:53 -> Failed: Action=[SMTP Transfer], Details=[Domain=hotmail.co.uk, Host=relay.plus.net:25, IP=212.159.9.107: Transaction rejected with: 452 ... temporary failure]
Sat, 05 Nov 2011 12:40:54 -> Success: Action=[SMTP Transfer], Details=[Domain=yahoo.com, Host=relay.plus.net:25, IP=212.159.9.107: Connection accepted.]
Sat, 05 Nov 2011 12:40:59 -> Success: Action=[SMTP Transfer], Details=[Domain=yahoo.com, Host=relay.plus.net:25, IP=212.159.9.107: SMTP Auth login details were accepted.]
Sat, 05 Nov 2011 12:41:19 -> Failed: Action=[SMTP Transfer], Details=[Domain=yahoo.com, Host=relay.plus.net:25, IP=212.159.9.107: Transaction rejected with: 550 <xxxx@xxxxxx.co.uk> sender rejected - invalid domain]

My server only use PN relay for a handful of domains, hotmail.co.uk being one, so have not seen many of these failures.
RobDickson
Grafter

Just wondering what the latest with this is.
I've just had an error when trying to connect to the SMTP server. This might be a one-off and might be unrelated, but I've updated the "ticket" just in case.