Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The sender address was rejected by the server relay.plus.net

tj
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Re: The sender address was rejected by the server relay.plus.net

Quote from: Bob
Regarding the original post and the intermittent problems sending email (550/452 errors). Are people still seeing these because there's been a number of configuration changes since and things seem to have gone very quiet?

The last time I encountered a problem was at 10.29am on 17 November, but I've not been at home much since then.
Am around a bit more this week, so will keep a keen eye on it and post back here/update my ticket if I get any more errors.
If not, thanks for solving it!

Tim
kdiment
Rising Star

Bob, I did say some time ago:
Quote from: kdiment
We are both wired into the router. I think wired connections are a) faster; b) more reliable; and c) more secure. We do not have any wireless connections.

... so that is an unlikely explanation.
I think now that, with the problem being so intermittent and apparently harmless anyway, life is too short to continue bothering with it. Should the problem worsen and begin actually to matter then I will disturb you again. Thanks for your persistence in following this up so far. Go and worry about something else.
-  Keith
tj
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Quote from: tj
Regarding the original post and the intermittent problems sending email (550/452 errors). Are people still seeing these because there's been a number of configuration changes since and things seem to have gone very quiet?

The last time I encountered a problem was at 10.29am on 17 November, but I've not been at home much since then.
Am around a bit more this week, so will keep a keen eye on it and post back here/update my ticket if I get any more errors.
If not, thanks for solving it!

Tim

Bugger. It just happened again, so looks like it's not solved, after all Sad
Occurred at 15.21 - will add the details of the 'to' address etc to the ticket, along with a screenshot.
Thanks

Tim
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Bob, I did say some time ago:
We are both wired into the router. I think wired connections are a) faster; b) more reliable; and c) more secure. We do not have any wireless connections.

... so that is an unlikely explanation.

Ah, apologies for overlooking that! Embarrassed
Quote from: tj
Occurred at 15.21 - will add the details of the 'to' address etc to the ticket, along with a screenshot.

I'll pick the ticket up shortly and see what we can deduce from it...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'll pick the ticket up shortly and see what we can deduce from it...

We've enabled more verbose logging and have been keeping a close eye on the rejections but they all look legitimate. Any further examples you have as you come across them them would be appreciated.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

kdiment
Rising Star

Might there be a clue here? I don't know about others in this thread but my wife and I both use AVG to scan incoming and outgoing emails, and since a recent AVG update there have been some messages in an AVG forum that seem rather similar to the occasional problems reported here.
See http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=179785&type=0 to see an example. That started by throwing suspicion on .gif files but seemed to resolve into a timing issue.
AVG has also recently been breaking hyperlinks when "certifying" emails that are being received by Eudora, which is unfortunate, but at least there is an easy workaround to use until the problem is fixed.
-  Keith
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Keith, most of the problems sending that have been reported in this thread won't be related to AVG as they're returning errors that are being generated by our servers. Your wife's problems receiving may have been related to AVG however if that were the case I'd have expected an AVG proxy prompt when you tried telnetting to the Waitrose mail server. Just to confirm the incoming server address in Eudora on your Wife's machine is set to mail.waitrose.com isn't it?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

pierre_pierre
Grafter

just got an item from Lidl and tried to send the supplying company an e-mail, it got rejected by the server (on Thunderbird)  milomex@lidl.gb  tried the Irish branch that also failed milomex@lidl.ie
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Did subsequent attempts to send the email prove successful Pierre? What error message was returned when you tried sending the email?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

pierre_pierre
Grafter

still not sending, this was to the GB address
An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:  <milomex@lidl.gb> recipient rejected - domain has no delivery address (DNS MX record). Please check the message recipient milomex@lidl.gb and try again.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Pierre, we're talking about *intermittent* problems sending email. Typically where customers are sending from a hosted domain and not their .plus.com address etc. If you have persistent problems sending email then it's going to be caused by something else.
Quote from: pierre_pierre
An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:  <milomex@lidl.gb> recipient rejected - domain has no delivery address (DNS MX record). Please check the message recipient milomex@lidl.gb and try again.

milomex@lidl.gb isn't a valid email address and the domain doesn't exist in DNS:
bpullen>nslookup lidl.gb
Server:  125.structure.internal.plus.net
Address:  84.93.217.125
*** 125.structure.internal.plus.net can't find lidl.gb: Non-existent domain

The lidl.ie domain *is* in DNS but the email address and the email address milomex@lidl.ie does seem to be routable:
220 mail1.enc99-int.com ESMTP
ehlo lidl
250-mail1.enc99-int.com
250-8BITMIME
250-SIZE 27262976
250 STARTTLS
mail from:<>
250 sender <> ok
rcpt to:<milomex@lidl.ie>
250 recipient <milomex@lidl.ie> ok

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

pierre_pierre
Grafter

strange, it is the service contact for an item I purchased this week and the firm milomex has got a web site, the firm lives in Pulloxhill. Bedfordshire and is an import agent, will have to chase up Lidl, the instruction book has an 08/2011  date
Milomex  have an expensive 0871 phone number  £0.10 per min
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Lidl phone number was better 0870, got through they did not know the answer had to ask a senior manager and would call me back
Strange, they had no direct e-mail for milomex and their published one would not work, they are going to look at why tomorrow