cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 550 ......recipient rejected - relay denied

noelhb
Hooked

The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 550 ......recipient rejected - relay denied

Hi 

I'm new to this so not sure if i'm in the right place - whenever i try and send an email from my computer i keep getting the following message - The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 550 ......recipient rejected - relay denied 

i am receiving emails but cannot send them - i would appreciate some help or being pointed in the right direction.

many thanks 

19 REPLIES 19
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 550 ......recipient rejected - relay denied

Is this to one person specifically? That error suggests that their email address may be invalid.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
noelhb
Hooked

Re: The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 550 ......recipient rejected - relay denied

hi  - no it's to everyone who i try and send mail to

Chris
Legend

Can you private message me with the full error including any addresses it's showing please.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
noelhb
Hooked

hi Chris - how do i private message you? 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@Chris , '550 relay denied" , sounds more like a problem with the outgoing SMTP server settings ?

@noelhb what email client are you using and what settings do you have for the outgoing server ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend

Possibly, however it was this bit that I saw:

.recipient rejected

@noelhb Please send me a private message me here

noelhb
Hooked

Hi

I've been told that this is the problem before  - i just don't know how to solve it!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Chris yes, but the recipient rejected is just a consequence of the relay denied.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

noelhb
Hooked

Hi MisterW

sorry i'm not too good at this - how do i find this info you are asking for 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

You must have configured some email settings on your computer somewhere ?

There will be settings for incoming mail and settings for outgoing mail servers 

Incoming ones are either IMAP.plus.net or mail.plus.net , outgoing one is relay.plus.net

Without knowing which email client you are using it's not possible to tell you where these settings can be found

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@Chris wrote:

Possibly, however it was this bit that I saw:

.recipient rejected

And that @Chris can be the problem with many email systems - the error messages they return belies the real problem, like for example when a client reports a password error ... when there is no darned connection to the service at all.

@noelhb,

Can you describe the situation a bit more clearly please?

Is your PlusNet account active?

Is this computer / phone connected to PlusNet's network?

Do you have a paid for PlusNet subscription of some kind?

The error is not unlike that you might expect if...

• Your Plusnet account is not yet activated - whilst you can receive emails at your Plusnet account immediately after it is set up, you cannot send emails via relay.plus.net until after the account is activated.
  • If your computer / phone is not connecting via the PlusNet network to relay.plus.net then you must use AUTHENTICATED access using your PlusNet username and password.
  • Have you moved away from PlusNet and not paid for the retention of your PlusNet email services?  In that situation you cannot use relay.plus.net

noelhb
Hooked

hi the incoming mail server pop3  and th outgoinh mail server smtp are both my email address

noelhb
Hooked

hi

this problem only occurred when i terminated my plusnet contract. ever since then i cannot send emails.  i've been told it's a plus net error  - when you cancel plusnet

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

In that case you need to send emails using your new ISP mail server not the plusnet one. As @Townman says, you will not be able to use the Plusnet one if you don't have an account