cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temp size limit on e-mails ?

philrowley

Temp size limit on e-mails ?

I'm trying to send an urgent e-mail with a couple of attachments - total just under 3MB.
I've not had any problems before, but today I'm getting a "temporary message size limit on server" every time I try to send.
I haven't seen an error of this type before and I've raised a support request for it but has anyone else noticed this problem ? 
17 REPLIES 17
philrowley

Re: Temp size limit on e-mails ?

I've now managed to send the message mentioned above - the cause of the problem turned out to be nothing whatever to so with the message size.
It was only after trying to send it once again that I noticed that one of the destination address was incorrect - it should have been  xxxxxxxxxxxx@hotmail.com, but I had entered it as xxxxxxxx@hotmial.com
As hotmial.com is a perfectly legal server address, I don't understand why the message did not go OK - to be followed by a bounce-back regarding the non-existent email address.
It looks as though PlusNet's email server was getting a bit confused.
I've advised PlusNet of this and, if they provide any useful comments, I will put these on the forum for information.
BryanP
Grafter

I send a few emails to various e mail address with large attachments and I am aware that the addressees can set the size limit of what size the will allow to be received
philrowley

I agree, but these limits are set by the receiving e-mail server : the problem I encountered was in getting the message from my laptop to PlusNet's server.
As explained above, it's turned out to be nothing to do with the actual message size.
If anyone does need to send large files, then the skyfile system works well and is free for reasonable quantities of date :- http://www.skyfile.co/
Phil
artmo
Aspiring Champion

I've never encountered a problem with large sized emails with PN.  had the problem with other ISPs though.
moemoff
Grafter

Well I am getting error on size emails.. business account. The message could not be sent because its size exceeded the server's limit.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

How big was it?
moemoff
Grafter

Varied in size ..it worked perfectly ok on the 4th July .. business entails sending photo images .. now no matter what size ..even 1meg it wont send
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Just sent a 1.6MB file without any problem.
philrowley

As I mentioned, I was having trouble sending a message of total size just under 3MB and I assumed that correcting the e-mail address allowed the message to go - perhaps there WAS a temporary server message size limit, but this had been cleared before my last attempt to send.
As mentioned, I'll report the feedback I get from PN support.
Phil
moemoff
Grafter

I have reported the problem ...cannot send any emails with attachments..regardless of size.  Only emails that go are those WITHOUT attachments.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I've just updated your ticket - basically we're asking for more information from the spam service relating to the issues you're having there and will let you know as soon as we hear back.
Anotherone
Champion

I seem to remember a while back there was a problem with just a plain text message that contained a link to a website that for some reason was being treated as a "spam link". There were several other links in the message and only removal of the particular link allowed the mail to be sent - until such time as the spam filters were "trained" by an input from Bob Pullen.
So, is there something in the attachment that the Spam filters could be disliking or if it contains links, experiment by removing them etc. You could try zipping the attachment to see if that made any difference.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anotherone
Champion

No, it was a website for a pub in London, can't remember it at the moment, but if I look back through my mail later, I know I tried to send it, and did so eventually, but I wasn't the OP.