cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TLS on SMTP

dratddestroyer
Grafter

TLS on SMTP

When will Plusnet offer TLS on SMTP connections?
6 REPLIES 6
dratddestroyer
Grafter

Re: TLS on SMTP

So I guess Plusnet are not interested in customer security then.
Transport Layer Security is not rocket science to set up.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I don't know how easy/difficult it would be to set up on our mail platform, and I'm not aware of any current timescales behind us doing this. I'll ask the question internally though.
So I guess Plusnet are not interested in customer security then.

Bit of a sweeping statement there, if we weren't interested in customer security we wouldn't have a server side firewall or McAfee free on some account types.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@dratdestroyer,
You might like to look at this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96345.0.html and the reply by PeterJ of PlusNet
Another option would be to set up a mailbox so you pass the mailbox password rather than the account one.  Did you know by the way, that can authenticate against the SMTP server using the username+mailbox and the mailbox password credentials?

You could set up a new mailbox with a password just for authenticated smtp use.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: dratdestroyer

We've enabled it before, but it caused more problems than it addressed back then due to the security certificates being self-signed.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

matiushu
Dabbler

Surely this is something that plusnet can sort out after all these years.

Whilst server firewalls and McAfee antivirus is useful to stop your mail servers being infected, plain text emails can be snooped whilst in transit.
Critical and personal data can be easily harvested.

TLS encryption would protect against this.

Plusnet should look into this as email is now a critical medium for communication including sensitive data.

Several competitors already provide this service.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

It's only going to be as effective as the next MTA in the transport chain. Assuming opportunistic TLS, email will only be relayed over an encrypted connection if the receiving server also supports TLS. Arguably, many do these days, but I thought that worth pointing out.

For further info on TLS between you and the collection/relay servers, drop me a private message and I'll get back to you when I've a little more time to spare Thumbs_Up

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵