cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncrhonising email across PC/Webmail/iPad

ginnym
Grafter

Syncrhonising email across PC/Webmail/iPad

I want to set up my email so that everything in Thunderbird (on my PC), on my iPad and on Webmail are completely synchronised at all times - ie with a copy of everything in all 3 sources and with changes made on any one of them reflected in the other two.  Even when I use the IMAP settings for Plusnet, the messages disappear from Webmail as soon as they're downloaded onto my PC.  In addition, when I send messages from the iPad, they're delivered OK (using wif-fi) but don't appear in any of the sent folders.  I will shortly want to add an iPhone to the set up just to complicate things further.
What am I doing wrong?
Ginny
6 REPLIES 6
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Syncrhonising email across PC/Webmail/iPad

Quote from: ginnym
Even when I use the IMAP settings for Plusnet, the messages disappear from Webmail as soon as they're downloaded onto my PC.

If the messages are being downloaded (and removed from Webmail) then you're not using IMAP on the PC, you're using POP3. If you're wanting to use POP3 then have a look for an option that allows you to keep a copy of the messages on the server when you download them. Otherwise you need to check/amend your settings.
Quote from: ginnym
In addition, when I send messages from the iPad, they're delivered OK (using wif-fi) but don't appear in any of the sent folders.

You need to check where the iPad tries filing the sent mail and whether the option to do this is switched on in the first place. It might be in a folder with a different name to the one you use on your PC. You can check what folders are in your IMAP space by logging into Webmail, clicking 'Folders' and looking below the Unsubscribe/Subscribe header.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ginnym
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.  I had all the IMAP settings in but have found a box in Thunderbird that was checked for remove messages from the server - I've changed it and it seems to be working now.  I've also found the setting on the iPad to tell it which folders to use for sent items - thanks for the info on that.
Can you say whether it's possible to use Outlook and have the sent items synchronise?  I've read that it can't be done so you have to bcc them but Thunderbird can do it and it seems odd if Outlook can't. 
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Sorry, not sure about Outlook. If I get the chance I'll have a play around with it and see what I can deduce. Otherwise, there might be somebody else around these parts who can advise further?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ginnym
Grafter

Cheers.  From what I can gather Outlook stores sent items in the local folder rather than the IMAP sent folder so I need to change that so it puts them in the IMAP folder.  Maybe I'll just stick with Thunderbird  Smiley
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

By default Outlook behaves as you said when sending messages (files copies in the local sent folder), whether IMAP or POP3 is being used for receiving. That behaviour can't be changed but it is possible to use message processing rules to store a copy in another folder - and the other folder can be an IMAP folder.
The steps needed to set this up are described here for Outlook 2003. An official Microsoft support reply which says the same, though for Outlook 98, is here.
Note that you will have both a local and IMAP copy of the sent message unless you turn off local storage of the sent message.
David
David
ginnym
Grafter

Thanks for the links - really helpful.