cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to John Lewis Broadband - can I keep my plusnet email adresses?

FIXED
Phil_Cleary
Grafter

Switching to John Lewis Broadband - can I keep my plusnet email adresses?

I've been with Plusnet for about 7 years, but Customer Options can't get anywhere near John Lewis' price of £22.50 per month all in, so reluctantly I'm planning on leaving - but obviously not going far as Plusnet provide John Lewis Broadband!

I'd like to keep my two plusnet email addresses. There are various threads about this but I'm a bit unclear about the various answers. Can I check I'm understanding it right? There seem to be two options:

• Free email-only account, which allows receipt of emails by POP\IMAP but does not allow sending via plusnet's SMTP server. Does this option allow for multiple email accounts or is it just the primary one?
  • £1.69 per month account: This allows receipt and sending of emails via plusnet. Does this option allow for multiple email accounts or is it just the primary one? Is there a minimum term, or is it just done month to month?

Is there any "grace" period, or does all this have to be set up effective from the date of migration?

To complicate matters, the second email address on this account is now being accessed from a separate phone line which has a newer ongoing plusnet contract. Presumably so long as this contract continues they can carry on sending emails via plusnet's smtp servers, even if I go for a free account?

16 REPLIES 16
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: Switching to John Lewis Broadband - can I keep my plusnet email adresses?

Fix

Hello @Phil_Cleary

Sorry to hear you're leaving us. A Mail Only account costs £1.06 per month that allows the ability to both send and receive mail using our mail servers.

If you would like your account to be converted to a mail only account, this would need to be requested before the migration. If you private message me with your usernames(s) I'll be happy to see this arranged.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I thought that it was £20.28 per year or £1.69 per month as per https://www.plus.net/help/legal/cancellation-policy/

It is possible, when requesting a cease of service, to request a downgrade to a mail only package for £20.28 a year instead of full account closure. This will allow continued access to email and some Member Centre features. This option must be requested at the time of cancellation.

Phil_Cleary
Grafter

Hi @Oldjim, Anoush has kindly confirmed that it is £1.06 per month for plusnet Mail-only. Apparently the £20.28pa = £1.69pcm is for a Mail only account for Waitrose/Greenbee VISPs, part of the John Lewis brand.

I am now off to John Lewis as plusnet can't match their price - £22.50 for unlimited broadband, evening & weekend calls & caller ID. I guess it's a quirk of the system: I wouldn't be able to go for a "new customer" offer from plusnet, but I can for John Lewis as it's a separate brand

mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Does the mail hosting include the domain please.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

He may have said that but it not only contradicts the Plusnet legal as I quoted but a lot of previous statements by staff members on this forum

@Phil_Cleary

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I'll look into this on Monday. As far as I am aware though it's £1.06 per month.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
mort7890
Pro
Fixes: 4

Yes this the quirk of the system you can go as a new customer as it is a seperate brand but plusnet appear unable to look after existing customers with just as good or better offers the longer you stay with them. In other words where is the loyalty repayment, having been withn Plusnet for 15 years I am now starting to look round for better offers.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

To confirm, a Plusnet Mail only account costs £1.06 per month. I'll let our Legal team know as the T&Cs should be updated.

If you have a domain with us and would like to keep it should you migrate your broadband & phone away to a new provider, the domain can be retained as part of the Plusnet Mail only  account.

I hope this helps clarify things.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

@Anoush indeed it does - do you know when it changed

Phil_Cleary
Grafter

Thanks  @Anoush

Excellent customer service!

Phil

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

@Oldjim - I've fired an email across to my colleague. Should hear back this week. -Edit- As far as I am aware, it's been £1.06 since I started working here 2 years ago. The correct department have now been notified so we'll get it put right.

@Phil_Cleary - No problem. Smiley

Oldjim
Resting Legend

@Anoush and @HarryB

https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Retaining-Plusnet-email-address/m-p/1307761/highlight/true#M1505... states

Hi boyd2658, welcome to the forums!
I'm sorry to hear you're thinking of leaving. If you do decide to leave and want to keep your email with us, you'll need to give our Customer Options Team a call on 0800 013 2632 (Selecting the option for thinking of leaving) and request that your account is downgraded to a mail only account for £20.28 a year when the services leave, instead of a full account closure.

So colour me confused

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I've raised this issue with our Legal team to make them aware.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

@Anoush almost a month later and nothing has changed in the legal page