Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suddenly Unable to Log-in to Webmail

chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Suddenly Unable to Log-in to Webmail

Hi guys,
Till today I was able to log-in to webmail, while some users were having issues.  Suddenly I am experiencing problems to log-in to the Round-cube webmail.  Sad
Are any other users having problems?
Chandu.
12 REPLIES 12
James
Grafter

Re: Suddenly Unable to Log-in to Webmail

Hi Chandu,
I've just tried logging into my account without difficulty.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Chandu,
We can't see any issues with the webmail platform and we're able to log into our mailboxes fine.
Let me know via PM if you like which mailbox it is and I'll see if we're able to replicate the problem.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Thanks guys.  Just tried it again.  All seems to be working now.  Smiley  Sorry about the panic.  Angry
Chandu.
GreenGiant
Grafter

Hi,
Since this morning I have been unable to log on to the mail server mail.plus.net with my email program [Thunderbird portable running in Dropbox across several platforms and connections] telling me password rejected by mail server. I assumed it was me and fiddled but with no success, the penny has just now dropped and I tried to log in to webmail to check things that way but can't I do that either!
I have another account with you [this username with 3 on the end] and it all works ok!
Could someone see if anything needs a prod with a sharp anywhere as I don't "think" it's me [famous last words]!
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Bob.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Are you able to login to the Member Centre https://portal.plus.net/index_portal.html?home=membercentretop with the account name and password that fails with webmail? (I am assuming this is for the default mailbox and not an additional one?)
Plusnet staff are unlikely to be here again until Monday so I suggest contacting the CSC on 0800 432 0200 if you continue to have problems.
David
David
GreenGiant
Grafter

Aaaah, no I can't log in to my own account now you mention it.
Looks like a phone call is needed tomorrow!
Thanks for the suggestion.
Bob.
GreenGiant
Grafter

Turns out Plusnet had changed my password after finding that my website hosted with Plusnet is infected with a virus called "FTPCHK3", I missed the notification phone call and of course the emails too [lesson learnt to add a non Plusnet email address for contact].
I have scanned the appropriate pc [but not too thouroughly yet] and have found nothing of interest, does anyone please have any knowledge of this as Googling implies it is becoming a bit of a large problem at the moment for a lot of people. It would be interesting if Plusnet could confirm that the problem files were uploaded or modified from my machine or an IP address allocated to me at the time.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I assume the compromised site is on the ccgi server? Does that run any packages - particularly old versions - that might have been compromised?
David
GreenGiant
Grafter

Hi spraxyt,
Not too sure what you mean but the site is hosted by Plusnet on their servers and it was uploaded from my machine a few weeks ago. The back up copy on my machine is ok. previous to the new upload Google blocked the site as infected but after deletion and reupload it was happy. Needless to say I do not know if it is the same problem again, if it is where is it comng from?
Is there any way I can find out if the problem is my machine hacked or Plusnet's server hacked?
Perhaps Plusnet could put in their 5 pence worth please, I would be very interested to know what information they may hold as I'm a bit lost!
I am using quite an old version of WS_FTP pro for uploading which has been ok for years as far as I know, Microsoft Security Essentials scans it and is happy. There is also a copy of Core FTP on a laptop that has been used once I think, it's also having a thourough scan at the moment, and has just now been passed fit by Avast!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi GreenGiant,
Just to confirm, the file was injected onto homepages due to a vulnerability in your website's code. It shouldn't have infected anything on your home PC but it's always wise to check.
If you re-upload the same code we'd recommend changing any passwords in there before you do so just in case.
Hope that helps.
GreenGiant
Grafter

Hi Matt,
Thanks for the reply, long time no converse, glad you're still about.
That's good news for my end hopefully. My knowledge of websites is very little so I am wondering about "vulnerability in code". I had assumed there was some kind of anti virus barrier at your end, if not could you suggest how I can change anything to stop this happening again please. Can I add antivirus or firewalls to the web pages from my end?
I know, you will now post me a link to "website design and security for dummies!!" Yes please!
Regards, Bob.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

The way I interpret what Matt said is that your site probably has some JavaScript included that due to a vulnerability allows hackers to change your files. Also the scripts might contain an access password.
If that JavaScript comes from a third party is a later version available that might have had that vulnerability fixed? And if passwords are included changing them would be appropriate.
David