Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden receipt of spam emails

kmw350
Rising Star

Sudden receipt of spam emails

Hi, can anyone please advise me on how to stop a sudden increase in spam -
I have suddenly received some spam emails in the last couple of weeks, one a week ago, which I recognised as being from someone I knew (but I did not open it), then another couple, and now 9 in one go today. They are all addressed to fax@my domain name which is not an address I have ever used, then they are forwarded to plusnet. How can I determine where they are coming from and stop them? I have never had this many in one go.
Or do I just direct them to my spam filter and forget about it?
They are pretty random, but several of them are entitled 'returned undeliverable', as if I am now the original sender, when I certainly was not. Also, the address is actually just made up, but it is getting through as it can be addressed with 'anything'@domain name
Any advice is appreciated,
Keith
2 REPLIES 2
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Sudden receipt of spam emails

Ignore them, bin them.
That is all you can really do. Once the spammers have got hold of your email address, short of changing it or blacklisting/blackholing the specific address it is being sent to (i.e. fax@yourdomain) there is little you can do. The spoofing emails where the spammers use your email address as a return address is a pain but unavoidable (other than doing the above).
I once had a few thousand emails come bouncing back to me as undeliverable when a spammer when on a rampage with one of my email addresses as the "reply to" - I ended up disabling the catchall account and restricting incoming mail to just a few mailboxes I used.
kmw350
Rising Star

Re: Sudden receipt of spam emails

Thanks DomS, that's what I suspected, I will do as suggested,
cheers
Keith