Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange test messages

chaswick
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Strange test messages

During the course of this evening I have received three separate messages from different named individuals, none of whom I know. All of them have been headed "test mesage" (yes, spelt like that). Each message contained fairly random text. Strangely there were no attachments which I would have expected from a virus spreader. Any idea what this is all about? Are they hoping that I will respond?
35 REPLIES 35
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Strange test messages

You're not alone, I've had a few over the past 24 hours.
Naturally they are not to be replied to and could just be backscatter which tend to die out after a few hours
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
picbits
Rising Star

I've had hundreds over the past few days.
I suspect it is an incorrectly configured spamming application which someone is using to try and send spam but doesn't know what they are doing .....
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've had several of these to various different email addresses over the last couple of days, including my addresses on my domains.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Cerberos
Rising Star

I'm at 93 of these messages so far and counting, all in the last 24 hours. Most are going into my "Catch all" account but some are addressed to my active email addresses.
You do wonder what the point is?
glloyd
Rising Star

Had loads of these as well, text makes no sense at all.
Anonymous
Not applicable

For those of you getting these "Test mesage nnnnnnx"s,  did you sign-up with Plusnet AFTER May 2007 ?
I ask because most of these messages that I've received are being sent to mailboxes and redirects which were harvested when Plusnet email was hacked in 2007.
If you are more recent Plusnet sign-ups,  then I wonder if Plusnet's email has been compromised again, which is a possibility with the direction this other current topic is heading - "Spam to plusnet-specific Email address"
Undecided
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: purleigh
did you sign-up with Plusnet AFTER May 2007 ?

Well before...
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
chaswick
Rising Star

I signed up to Plusnet long before 2007. It does seem that someone is using addresses hacked from Plusnet at some stage. My wife is also receiving these messages at her address on my domain.
kmilburn
Grafter

I've been seeing a few of these messages to several addresses,  only 1 of which was compromised in the 2007 hack.  However,  given the other addresses used, I've long suspected that the other party which had that address has been compromised.  It's unlikely to be Plusnet being compromised again as I make extensive use of the unlimited email aliases,  and very few receive spam.
minkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I ask because most of these messages that I've received are being sent to mailboxes and redirects which were harvested when Plusnet email was hacked in 2007.

Mine haven't been coming from this hack, but mostly from the Adobe hack from October 2013 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24740873
I have different email addresses for each account I set up, so I know where the spam originated. I am also receiving {randomtext}@mydomain.co.uk spam emails too. I've never used that email address.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: minkey
I am also receiving {randomtext}@mydomain.co.uk spam emails too. I've never used that email address.

Is that domain website, email, or DNS hosted on Plusnet servers or somewhere else ?
minkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

It's a plusnet hosted domain. These go to my catchall account.
avatastic
Grafter

For those of you getting these "Test mesage nnnnnnx"s,  did you sign-up with Plusnet AFTER May 2007 ?

I got one of these to my work e-mail, which is unconnected with plusnet in any way, shape or form.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
All4One
Grafter

Anyone care to share an example of the text?