cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange email problem with plusnet

john10001
Grafter

Strange email problem with plusnet

I don't send many emails from my isp account these days and mostly use webmail but earlier I tried to do so in Thunderbird with my PlusNet account as I needed to ask a question on a mailing list I've been subscriber to for a long time though not used for years.

When sending the email it seems as though it was sent but it has a message up saying "copying to sent items folder" and the actual message I composed stayed open in the window with nothing much actually happening.

I got tired of this after a few minutes so closed the message and it asked me if I wanted to wait until it was sent or to just quit so I selected to quit.

I am guessing something has gone wrong because when I check my PlusNet email account folders I Thunderbird there isn't actually a Sent items folder. Does anyone know why and what has gone wrong?

8 REPLIES 8
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Strange email problem with plusnet

The folder where sent messages should be stored is called "Sent".

If you display Account Settings in Thunderbird and select Copies & Folders the settings need to be like those shown in the image below. You probably won't have an Archives and Templates folder - that's OK - leave the settings as they are. Remember to click the OK button if you make changes.

TBirdFolders.png

David
john10001
Grafter

I can see a sent items folder in Thunderbird for all my other accounts that are showing in there e.g. Yahoo, Hotmail and Gmail but there isn't one for my PlusNet ISP account.

Also all my different folders for the PlusNet account are subfolders of my inbox which is unusual as all my other accounts they are unique folders of the account not sub folders.

How do I get the sent items folder back and where did it disappear to? 

john10001
Grafter

Update:

I just removed the account from thunderbird and re-added to back in.

Still there is no sent items folder being created or imported. What the heck is happening PlusNet?

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@john10001 wrote:

Also all my different folders for the PlusNet account are subfolders of my inbox which is unusual as all my other accounts they are unique folders of the account not sub folders.

In the Plusnet mail store all user folders are stored as sub-folders of Inbox. So one expects to see that arrangement.

For checking purposes before continuing with Thunderbird settings, if you login to webmail (https://webmail.plus.net) do you see at least the folders shown in the following image along with their special icons?

webmailFolders.png

The real names of those sub-folders are Drafts, Sent (note *not* Sent Items), Spam and Trash but there is an association table for these webmail names which can be viewed/changed via Settings->Special Folders as illustrated in the following image.

webmailSpecFldrs.png

Do you have these folders. If not I think it will be necessary for Plusnet staff to take a look at system settings for your email account.

David
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Let us know whether you have the folders Spraxyt has shown

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
john10001
Grafter

Sent does shows in webmail.

It doesn't show in Thunderbird.

Also at work today I tried adding the account to my iPhone 6s on iOS 10. Sent does not show on my iPhone's email.

john10001
Grafter

Sent shows in webmail but not thunderbird or iPhone.

Also when I checked the Sent folder contents on webmail there is absolutely nothing in there! But I recently sent emails.

Do you know why there are these faults with plusnet's email? This should be straight forward. A major email folder like Sent items shouldn't be missing. It should import and map successfully on any device or software like all other accounts do.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Go to Settings > Folders in Webmail. What do you see there?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵