cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange email problem in MacOS

SimonO1

Strange email problem in MacOS

I'm trying and failing to set up my Plusnet email on a new MacBook.  I have another Mac on which the account works fine.  Both are running the same version of MacOS (10.13.4), both are running the MacOS email client.  Both have exactly the same account settings (verified multiple times - I even changed the password to be 100% I was typing in the correct one).  But the MacBook says "unable to verify account name or password".  The same settings work fine on my phone and iPad as well.

Help!

4 REPLIES 4
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Strange email problem in MacOS

There is another topic covering this problem https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/IMAP-works-on-some-devices-not-other-with-exact-same-settings/m-... which unfortunately never reached resolution. We suspect Apple Mail on High Sierra no longer allows new accounts to be set up using an insecure (non SSL/TLS) connection. However those previously set up continue to work.

However it would be useful if you could work through what was suggested in that topic and see if anything help..

David
SimonO1

That's weird.  I'll have a look, thanks.

SimonO1

Tried and failed.  It is one of my 2 regular-use email accounts which is a right pain - I can access via the Plusnet website but it's much less convenient than having it in the mail client.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Are you able to try an alternative email client?

David