cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange email address.

cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Strange email address.

Can anyone throw any light on the following email address - I've not posted the exact letters and numbers but it's the strange format (including an IP address) that I have never seen before. It seems that it originated in Poland.
xxxxxx@ip00-000-000-000.xxxxxx.pl
The text that followed the email was four lines of seemingly random words; the email contained no attachments or links.
Three spamfilters passed it as being ok.
Needless to say, the email went the way of all spam and the address has been blocked.
Any ideas will be welcome.

4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Strange email address.

cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Thanks for the link Oldjim - what foxed me was the originator's strange email address that quoted an IP address. I have never seen that before.
Have you any ideas on that?
I won't quote the full address in case it compromises an innocent person's hacked email account.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

It might be an attempt to dodge spam filters. Or perhaps a way of tracking. If anyone did reply I expect only the xxxxxx.pl domain is relevant, the receiving MTA ignoring the rest.. So the IP address isn't necessarily that it came from.
David
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Thanks, spraxyt  for your reply. The email was not picked up by any of my three spamfilters.