cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still waiting for Madasafish to fully close webmail box

snookie
Dabbler

Still waiting for Madasafish to fully close webmail box

When I closed my account with Madasafish and moved to fibre optic broadband with a cable supplier I was informed by a member of the "cancellations team" that my webmail box associated with my account would close on the day my account terminated.
All that seems to have happened was a disabling of password access as Emails are still NOT being rejected as undelivered mail  Roll_eyes
Over two weeks have passed by and I have contacted Madasafish about this matter several times.  I have been assured by Technical support that the mailbox concerned is now "greyed out" on their system and yet it still appears to be accepting messages.
All I want is for the mailbox to be completely disabled, closed, nuked or whatever it takes so that any Emails sent to this "old" address are bounced back to the sender as Undeliverable Mail.
Why is this so hard for Madasafish to do?
When I left a previous ISP, the associated Mailbox was properly closed on the day the account was closed. This is the service I had espected from Madasafish but am still waiting ... Angry
10 REPLIES 10
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Still waiting for Madasafish to fully close webmail box

Hi there,
The account appears to have only just been cancelled in the past few hours so I'd expect that the mailbox should have gone by tomorrow as it can take up to 24 hours.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
snookie
Dabbler

The account with Madasafish was closed on 28th June, have paid the cancellation fee and last invoice etc all done and dusted.
I cannot understand why it has taken so long to sort the associated Email mailbox.
Hope you are right Adam and test messages will bounce tomorrow ..... I live in hope
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@snookie, I don't think your emails are going to bounce to be honest.
By the looks of things, the default behaviour of our mail servers is to accept messages to the @madasafish.com domain, even where there's no valid mailbox associated with the address.
$ telnet mx-ironport.core.plus.net 25
Trying 84.92.1.97...
Connected to mx-ironport.core.plus.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mx.ptn-ipin02.plus.net ESMTP
ehlo ip
250-mx.ptn-ipin02.plus.net
250-8BITMIME
250 SIZE 104857600
mail from:<me@privacy.net>
250 sender <me@privacy.net> ok
rcpt to:<askjfhjdfahfsdjkhfkjshjkfsa@madasafish.com>
250 recipient <askjfhjdfahfsdjkhfkjshjkfsa@madasafish.com> ok
data
354 go ahead
subject:test
this is a test
250 ok:  Message 199708876 accepted

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Doesn't appear to be a sound option Bob?  What does it then do with undeliverable mail?  Silently throw it away?  Store it in an increasingly large silo?
If the mail contains request for payment calls (e.g. Plusnet) the ex User could unexpectedly get a Court summons based on receipt of the warning emails - and with no User accessible data to prove that it had been 'lost' by the system.
Any plans to tidy this up when the Madasafish servers get decommissioned?
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

snookie
Dabbler

I have just tried again and despite waiting 48 HOURS, my old mailbox is still not rejecting messages sent to it. Angry
This is not at all satisfactory service and I am becoming increasingly angry.
As MauriceC aptly points out, without a rejection message, it would be expected that I would have received mail sent to this old mailbox.
Bob you say ...
By the looks of things, the default behaviour of our mail servers is to accept messages to the @madasafish.com domain, even where there's no valid mailbox associated with the address.

The mailbox concerned was with one of the ISP's taken over by Madasafish but I guess it all comes under the same umbrella.
I feel like making a complaint now as this has been going on for far too long
snookie
Dabbler

Why is it seemingly impossible for Madasafish to bounce messages sent to closed mailboxes?
This is what I would expect to receive from a test message .....

From Mail Delivery Subsystem <mailer-daemon@googlemail.com>
Delivery Status Notification Failure
Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:
    username@madasafish_email_server
Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: ******************************* Recipient address rejected: @madasafish_email_server (state 14).
----- Original message -----
then a copy of my original test message with headers.

It would appear that Madasafish can do nothing to rectify this situation as I am being constantly fobbed off
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: snookie
Why is it seemingly impossible for Madasafish to bounce messages sent to closed mailboxes?

It's related to the way we migrated the Madasafish platform to Plusnet a couple of years back. The LDAP system that our anti-spam appliances rely on, have 'catchall's' defined for generic domains such as care4free.net. This means that *all* emails addressed to this domain are accepted. The servers that handle actual delivery though will refuse the message if it's intended for an invalid mailbox. We don't bounce these messages as a spam prevention measure.
TBH, this behaviour is likely to change when we replace our anti-spam appliances (possibly later this year).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

snookie
Dabbler

TBH, this behaviour is likely to change when we replace our anti-spam appliances (possibly later this year).

Appreciate that Bob. The undelivered mail bouce cannot come soon enough for me ...
We don't bounce these messages as a spam prevention measure.

But then the Spammers system "thinks" that the mailbox is active and will keep posting to it surely ...  Huh
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: snookie
We don't bounce these messages as a spam prevention measure.

But then the Spammers system "thinks" that the mailbox is active and will keep posting to it surely ...  Huh

AIUI it's more to do with the problems this would cause for the IronPort anti-spam appliances. Inbound email is received as follows:
Sender > IronPort > Inmx > Recipient
It's the Inmx's that refuse the mail. If they were to bounce then it can cause problems for the IronPort boxes upstream to them.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

snookie
Dabbler

Ah, I see, thanks for explaining that. Presumably then when the Iron Port anti spam is replaced this can be sorted.
Fingers crossed  Wink